Can I do anything regarding badly pointed brickwork ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was dismayed when I returned home to find a lad, day 1 on the job and never done it before, had been let loose on repointing the 3 courses of brickwork at ground level around my bungalow. He seems to have lost interest after the first few feet then made a right mess getting more on the bricks than between them. It was some time ago, and I am slowly getting other cosmetic things done with the outside as and when I can afford it.

It looks such a mess compared to the other areas of brickwork and your eye goes straight to it and I am afraid it could lose me a sale if I have to sell in the Spring. Is there anything I can do ? Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Try power washing it off first to rmove most off the brick work then acid. If the bricks are soft a wire brush will spoil it. If the washer takes some of the mortar out it is easy to put back.

Thanks very much, I will try the "three pronged approach!", jetwash, brush and acid. It would do me a favour if it did blast out the mortar as the whole lot needs repointing anyway :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, I will try the "three pronged approach!", jetwash, brush and acid. It would do me a favour if it did blast out the mortar as the whole lot needs repointing anyway :confused:

Brick acid will get most of it off. Let it work for a while then scrub it, apply more if neceesray, hose off when done. Wear eye protection.

Personally I wouldn't have paid for the work until it was put right.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard,

My problem was the main man came recommended as a fitter of alarm systems but also claimed to be able to do other building work including pointing and I fell for it .......

He fitted an alarm and bought along a young chum who attacked the pointing. I should have been more forceful but I am getting on a bit and not in the best of health. Not only was the pointing dreadful but the alarm system false alarmed every day for 10 days. He came back a couple of times, disconnected a sensor and said he'd be back then vanished. I have never set the alarm since. A waste of money and it will spoil the decoration in my hall and other rooms if I have it taken out.

Dealing with trades can be a bit overwhelming, and no, I didn't opt for or get a cheap job !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back