Can I do this with a joist hanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time poster.

Wondering whether anyone could let me know if this is possible.

Does anyone know 'for sure' know whether or not it is necessary to 'fold' the joist hanger over or whether it can sit flush to the side of the wood instead. The joist hanger used is normally used to fold over.

Here is the link to the actual hanger being used.
http://www.selcobw.com/simpsons-timber-joist-hanger-galvanised-47-x-270mm

I have attached a diagram which may be clearer.
//media.diynot.com/213000_212418_77263_50855250_thumb.jpg

Hope it is clear enough but if not please let me know any additional information you may need.

Many thanks in advance.
Pachamama

View media item 77263

Sponsored Links
You need to check the loading specified for that hanger in the Simpson catalogue, and then check the load on each joist to see how it compares.

IIRC, they are supposed to be turned over the top and nailed.

Hi, just to clarify, I spoke to Simpson and they specified it was ok not to bend them over, based on the 8x2 c24 I was using. I found another way around it any way but thanks for your reply.

Hi, just to clarify, I spoke to Simpson and they specified it was ok not to bend them over, based on the 8x2 c24 I was using. I found another way around it any way but thanks for your reply.

Was that to notch the joists into the web?

Sponsored Links
The joists were being fixed to the 7x4 web inside the steel ibeam, no notching was needed. Hope that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back