Can I drill vent hole here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drill a hole in the wall for my 125mm vent. The ideal position for the vent is shown on the picture. But I am worried it is too close to the air brick and to close to the corner of the building. Is it safe to drill it there?
WhatsApp Image 2022-12-08 at 16.36.04.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Ok structurally, but practically you don't want a fan next to an air brick

Sponsored Links
I guess airbrick is needed for wall ventilation, I need air vent for my extractor fan

I could drill a hole into the bathroom and then outside, but that would mean drilling two holes...

The cooking smells from the extractor could come back in through the vents...personally I would crack on.

Ah, I see! I think I will take this risk and drillthe hole. I do not really have alternative :(

If you place an extract fan near to a vent, all that happens is the fan sucks most air in the vent and than back out of the fan, instead of extracting most of the air out of the room

If you place an extract fan near to a vent, all that happens is the fan sucks most air in the vent and than back out of the fan, instead of extracting most of the air out of the room
I am not sure if I follow. Extracto fan will push out air from the kitchen to the outside. Are you saying that the air pushed from from the kitchen would go inbetween the wall through the air vent?

Is there anything elss that I can do to help with that? There is no other way I can install the ducting.

No, what he is saying is the fan will pull the air out of the room but, instead of pulling fresh air in through the air brick, the air brick will draw in a lot of the air expelled by the fan. Thereby re-circulating the same air instead of pulling in totally new fresh air.

Question: Does the vent also exist on the inside wall of the house?

No problem with that position, above air brick so kitchen warm air will rise away and not close enough regardless of that to be pulled back in .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back