Drilling a hole for a vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apols if answered elsewhere. I'm having trouble with search.

Want to fit a vent to external brick wall with a 10cm hole to pass through extraction pipe from a tumble dryer.

I have some questions:
1. Is this a DIY job?
2. Any possible risks to building structure?
3. I assume I need a core drill and can hire these from hire shop. Can core drills be fitted to a 'normal' electric drill with hammer action or would it be best to hire a decent drill too.
4. Do core drills work like normal drills or may there be a lot of stopping and starting, waiting for it to cool down, waiting for me to cool down ;) etc

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No reason why not.

Not realy, just dont drill directly underneath a lintel.

Hire the drill aswell, you will need a lot more torque than a normal black and decker type drill will deliver. If its a diamond core DONT use any drill on hammer.

Just take it nice and steady, withdraw the bit every now and then to clear loose material, that will keep it cool enough. Assuming you house isnt precast concrete!

Keep it as straight as possible so the cutter doesnt bind up in the hole, resulting in a jam. Just always hold onto it tight just in case.

Sponsored Links
Or, if you don't want to hire the (very big) drill you could go through the wall with oblong plastic ducting (100mm x 40 ish) which is slightly smaller than a modern standard brick. So choose your brick outside, drill out the mortar around it for length 100mm, then either drill or chisel through the brick. The outside vents will connect to oblong or circular pipe and inside fit a plastic oblong to circular fitting and connect your dryer hose to that.
N.B. If you do this, do the brick from the outside. If done from the inside you will almost certainly blow the face off the brick when you split it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back