Can I fit an aerator to my mixer tap?

gpk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved to a new house and the tap in the kitchen was splashing everywhere as the water wasn't coming out straight. The tap has a single-piece black plastic insert screwed in it. I don't think it's an aerator (the holes are too big).

I happened to have an aerator from my previous house (metal screw, plastic aerator plus washer). To my surprise it does screw in to my tap. But the washer doesn't really fit, and it leaks water out from around the screw.

I can feel this tap has an inner pipe for the hot water. Not sure if there's a name for it. Is it possible to fit an aerator to this type of tap without it leaking? Or do I need to find another black plastic thing?

Sponsored Links
I can feel this tap has an inner pipe for the hot water.

That is designed to prevent your hot water supply being forced back along the cold water incoming mains and polluting it.

I don't know for sure, but our local water authority sent out packs of water saving gadgets, to its customers several years ago and amongst the gadgets were various water aerators to fit a variety of taps, with adaptors. I'm pretty sure someone must sell such a kit of aerators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back