Can I fit uPVC windows in an integral garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another question relating to my extension .....

Do the Fire regs allow me to install uPVC windows in the Integral garage.

I'd like some natural light in there for when I am working on things, but am I allowed to have uPVC frames ?
The wall that the windows would be in is on the property boundary, and looks out onto a footpath.

Is there a risk associated with the frame melting, and fire spreading up through the cavity ?

At the back of the property I was told that I can't have a uPVC window, because it looks into the Conservatory, and that is classed as living space.

The Inspector is coming round on Thursday, so I'll ask him then. I'd just like to be armed with some knowledge from this forum before hand.

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
You can put windows in, but there is a restriction on the size in order to prevent the spread of fire. I'm not sure what square meterage you're allowed, but it is in the builidng regs.

At the back of the property I was told that I can't have a uPVC window, because it looks into the Conservatory, and that is classed as living space.

Can you, or anyone, expand on this a little. I've just enveloped the front window of my lounge in a front extension, and so far building control haven't commented.

Gary

The rear window looks onto whose conservatory... your own or the neighbours?

Sponsored Links
The rear window looks onto whose conservatory... your own or the neighbours?

My Conservatory (that I haven't built yet) will go across the back of the garage.

I wanted to partition the back 3m of the garage off and have it as a play room, with a door and window going into the conservatory.

Unfortunately though, because the garage is classed as a garage, so would the play room, and that means that there would need to be a fire rated barrier between it and the conservatory.

Can you, or anyone, expand on this a little. I've just enveloped the front window of my lounge in a front extension, and so far building control haven't commented.

Gary

Garyo

My problem is because I want to have a window between a Garage and a Living Space. If both of your rooms are classed as living space, then Building Control won't have a problem with you leaving the original windows in there.

Cheers
Gary

You can put windows in, but there is a restriction on the size in order to prevent the spread of fire. I'm not sure what square meterage you're allowed, but it is in the builidng regs.

Went through the regs last night, and couldn't find anything about garage windows, let alone sizes.

Building Regs Part B - Section B4, Clause 9.9 (onwards) and Diagram 20.

It's not particularly easy to read, but would suggest a window area of 0.1 or 1 metre squared is acceptable depending on circumstances.

What? A four-inch square window? :confused:

Nope, because 4" square is 0.1m x 0.1m = 0.01 metres square.

About a foot square in old money (which still isn't all that big!)

I don't know what the hell the OP is on about! :confused:

This thread has gone totally off topic.

The question is - can I fit a window with a uPVC frame, in an intergal garage ?

I do not know if the window needs to be fire rated and so I asked the question.

My assumption is that in the event of a fire in the garage, the uPVC frame could melt in under 30 minutes, meaning that the fire/smoke could potentially spread through the cavity.

The inspector I spoke to said that I couldn't have a uPVC window frame between the garage and the conservatory, and I am now asking if anyone knows whether I would be able to fit one between the garage and the outside.

Right, you can fit a upvc window in the external wall, if your inspector moans about stopping fire spreading into the cavity install a fire rated cavity closer from the likes of Cavity Trays such as this http://www.cavitytrays.co.uk/closers/view/3/180/1/mwr-type-v170-contract-cavicheck-closer.

The only thing I can see stopping you fitting a upvc window in your external wall is (albeit highly unlikely but I mention it because someone will probably mention it just because they can if I don't! :rolleyes: ) is if immediatly adjacent to your window is the only fire escape route for yours or another property. Even then you could crawl past the window on your knees to avoid a fire belching out of your garage.

Out of interest wouldn't it have been rather odd to have a window looking in on your garage from your conservatory?

My problem is because I want to have a window between a Garage and a Living Space. If both of your rooms are classed as living space, then Building Control won't have a problem with you leaving the original windows in there.

Ah okay

Out of interest wouldn't it have been rather odd to have a window looking in on your garage from your conservatory?

I think it's going to be rather odd for me to have a window in my lounge that looks into a porch room, which then looks out onto the road via a much smaller window. The wife, however, is convinced it'll be fine. We've agreed that we need to see this in situ before making a judgement. I still think we'll end up bricking it up!

Yes it would, but the wife wants the back portion of the garage to be partitioned off so that the boys can have it as a playroom/mess/den for a few years, and then once they grow out of it, I'll convert it into a utility room.

There is method to my madness, but for the moment, I'll just build it as one room, and get it signed off as a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back