Can I fix small gaps and rubber seals myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My house has got some quite old UPVC windows in it, and several of them have terrible drafts seeping in where the opener meets the rubber seals (so much so that cobwebs blow in the 'wind'!!). We can't afford to have them all replaced though so I wondered if it's something I can fix myself?

To clarify, taking the example of a rectangular bathroom windows where the opening is at the top, when I shut the window and pull the latch down to lock it, there's still a 2mm or 3mm gap between the plastic and the rubber seal, particularly at one end.

I guess my questions are

a) Can I adjust the mis-alignment myself? If so, how?
b) Can I replace the black rubber seals myself?

Lastly, if I can't do a or b, are their window compaies who would take on a small repair jobs like this, and how much is it likely to cost? I live in Derby, Derbyshire.

Many thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Easier to buy some squidgy double sided tape and stick it all around the opener. You can buy draught excluder stuff but its too thick. Our supplier will sell it you and will post it TPD 0121 311 2666 buy the 7mm stuff.

You need to clean your house. :D

When the hinges are knackered, it causes missalignement...
Replcement hinges are inexpensive, and quite easy to fit....

Sponsored Links
When you have old windows that have a few issues it may pay you to get a double glazing doctor in and let him sort them all out for you, generally its worn hinges and flattened rubbers on old windows.

Thanks guys.

Short term, the tape has worked a treat!! I wish someone had suggested it to me sooner - such a cheap solution with such great benefits. OK, I might have to replace it each year for a year or two until I can get the windows replaced, but at £20 or £30, it's no bother.

I might think about the windows doctor - do you know of one? I am reluctant to get a window company in to look at them because they'll just say "You need to have them all replaced!"...

Ta

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back