Can I flush with a garden hose ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a combi boiler with 11 rads all of which are conected with copper pipe, most of them 8mm. I currently have Fernox Central Heating Restorer running round the system as I have been having lots of problems with the plate heater exchanger getting blocked up with pipe debris. The instructions on the Fernox tell me to drain and refill the system until the water runs clear. I have a drain tap fitted outside but what worries me is that now the Fernox has loosened the corrosion on the pipes then draining the system will just result in the now loose debris collecting at the bottom of the rads waiting to block the heat exchanger again.....one thought I did have was to somehow connect a garden hose to the tail of one of the rads ate contantlyrun water through the pipework in the hope that this will flush it all out....is this possible for a system with combi ? I have read other posts where people have suggested this with other types of boiler.

Once the system is clean I have Fernox Protector to hopefully address the prevent future problems.

Sponsored Links
Not with 8mm pipes. Better take each rad off the wall and flush it outside, then take the plate heat ex off and do that. You could add a dirt seperator to the return pipe just before the boiler.

Why not simply drain the system. Close the tap, Refill it and do it until it runs clear? If you run the system before you drain it then the sediment should be in suspension and simply flow out down the drain.

I'm not a plumber - thank God.

joe

Because with 8mm pipes the flow rate isn't high enough to keep the debris in suspension, (do you know how dense magnetite is?) thats why it's better to take the rads off the wall!!

Sponsored Links
That may be so but just think of the work involved and ruined carpets lumping 11 filthy rads around the house and down stairs. Worth a try surely?

joe

You don't have to operate in that way, you drain the system, and have some screw in plugs for the rads for instance. You obviously haven't tried to clean a system with 8mm pipes. You can of course try anything you like................

not even worth a go joe as it definately wont do anything as most of the sludge is iron magnetite and i sticks to pipework and rads like **** to a blanket.

why not hire a power flusher from a hire shop and give a good sorting.

joe-90 said:
Why not simply drain the system. Close the tap, Refill it and do it until it runs clear? If you run the system before you drain it then the sediment should be in suspension and simply flow out down the drain.

I'm not a plumber - thank God.

joe
If this is your genuine attitude then don't comment on a plumbing forum/topic. However, it's much more likely that you actually want to be one.

If so, then just say so and you'll get plenty of help and support, but in the meantime your theories and postings are poorly researched and consequently very wide of the mark. This particular suggestion of yours is not thought out at all, and definately not tried out, so it has a negative effect on novice readers who want a solution to their problem.

On the contrary, anyone that reads this thread will now know what will and what will not work. Do you have a problem with that?

joe

joe-90 said:
On the contrary, anyone that reads this thread will now know what will and what will not work. Do you have a problem with that?

joe
No - I don't have a problem with clarity and specifics, but if you're implying that your role in this forum is to be some kind of stooge or court jester, then so be it. We haven't seen enough of Norman Wisdom recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back