Can I have a new condensing boiler fitted in my bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I presently have a combi boiler which is 13 years old, fitted to a wall in my bathroom. I want to change it for a new condensing boiler, a Worcester or Vaillant, and my gas fitter has said I cannot now have a boiler in the bathroom unless it is behind a locked cupboard, as I could stretch my arms out and touch the bathroom sink with one hand and the boiler with the other, at the same time. He said this is due to new rules. There is no bath in my bathroom and the shower is enclosed and nowhere near where I want the boiler. He wants to fit it in the loft which is very inconvenient, and I want it in the same place as my existing one in the bathroom, without a locked cupboard! Can anyone advise please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are no prohibited locations for room sealed boilers (except LPG in basements), if fitted in a bathroom the electrical switch and controls must be mounted outside bathroom, he needs to read up on his regs i feel.

You can;t fit a boiler within Zone 1 of a bathroom, You may install within Zone 2 & 3, but must there must be 600mm distance between appliance and sink or wc, electrical supply must be rcd protected. Personally I advise clients to fit boiler in a cupboard in the bathroom, it doesnt have to be locked. Thats my interpretation anyway.

Sponsored Links
Consult the electrical classification of a boiler you are thinking of.
The glow worm betacom C for example has a classification IPX4D
that allows the boiler to be installed in kitchens and bathrooms excluding
zones 1 and 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back