Can I have a Woodburner/multifuel Fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a bog-standard gas fire in my lounge, I would like to install either a wood-burning or multifuel fireplace

My chimney has been fitted with what looks like a 5" metal flue liner - so basically my question is can I replace my gas fire with a wood burning or multifuel fire without having any work done to the existing flue installation?

I know it will have to be installed an certified by a HETAS engineer, this is no problem but before I start getting people round, firstly is this possible to do with my current Flue installation? if so with a minimal amount of work?

Also I am based in Nuneaton, Warwickshire if anyone has any recommendations of anyone local who can advise / quote.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No, you can't, for two reasons. Firstly, your existing liner will be a gas liner and therefore unsuitable for use with solid fuel. Secondly, the regs require that even a solid fuel liner is replaced if the appliance it is connected to is replaced

In short, if you want a stove you need a new liner

Cheers, yes thought that would be the case :(

Any rough/approx cost of a complete new flue liner installation to suit a solid fuel fire?

How long is a piece of string? How high, access, 316 stainless or 904 stainless... It will need to be 6inch unless you have a DEFRA exempt stove

Sponsored Links
Jibbereish to me mate all that sorry - I'm a 20 year time served electrical/electronics engineer lol.

Its basically standard council built 1950's semi-detached. And there is a 5" flexible flue going up the existing chimney

Too many factors to say without more info, but think around £1000 and you'll be in the middle of a very large ballpark

Access in loft to chimney breast (if required) very easy. Large front drive.

I thought if I could get it done for 1000 or less I was going to go for it. I wouldn't want anything fancy regarding a stove, just something plain/black with sufficient heat output for a medium sized lounge

I would like a multi fuel though as my dad has been using smokeless for 30 years and he gets it at a very good price :)

Cutting it a bit fine there, mate......you'll need a 6" stainless liner, plus a register plate to blank the chimney off, and a coupling to connect the solid flue pipe to the flexible above the register plate.
Usually the pot has to come off the chimney stack, and you'll need a terminal with a bird guard.
If you choose a stove with an output of more than 5kW external ventilation is needed.
John :)

Safely say I'm not going to bother! - well not yet anyway, maybe look into it more before next winter.

I would like a solid fuel burner though - I can put one in my conservatory though as that place is a nightmare to heat!. been looking into it there is an ideal spot for one so I will do that instead. I have money aside for this, just not both jobs!

Access in loft to chimney breast (if required) very easy. Large front drive.

I thought if I could get it done for 1000 or less I was going to go for it. I wouldn't want anything fancy regarding a stove, just something plain/black with sufficient heat output for a medium sized lounge

I would like a multi fuel though as my dad has been using smokeless for 30 years and he gets it at a very good price :)
My £1000 was just for the lining, it didn't include the stove!

Yes I know ;) I can get a good quality stove fairly cheap (< £350)

not going to bother anyway. going to put my full budget into the one in Conservatory - that's the most needed one!

Muggles - I got a surprise when reading your post re fitting a new stove!

I have a stove - Hetas installed, with liner/vermiculite, all working as it should. Occasionally I get to daydream about changing the stove. Simple swap.

Now I know otherwise! If I choose to change stove, does that mean the old liner has to come out (what on earth happens to all that vermiculite?) and the entire flue has to be relined?

Can you suggest the reasoning behind this? Not having a knock, just interested to find out more.

The reason for replacing the liner is that we have to be sure that the liner can reasonably be expected to last the life of the stove, generally speaking, when an installer comes to replace your stove it is probably because it is old and past its best, it is reasonable to assume that the liner is likewise... Flexi liners are regarded as a repair to a defective flue and not as a permanent flue and so need to be replaced. Just for interest, this is why a flexible liner cannot be used and signed off on a newbuild..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back