Options for brick fireplace opening/ chimney. Maybe gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to buy a new house where the current gas fire needs replacing.

I’m considering either an open fire, gas stove or multifuel stove.

The chimney is not currently lined and I’d prefer not to have to put a liner in if it’s in good enough condition.

I will get a Hetas engineer around in time but would like initial thoughts on what options might be available without installing a flue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 455B0DBD-B42C-4A28-BBD9-B66CD0E0D855.jpeg
    455B0DBD-B42C-4A28-BBD9-B66CD0E0D855.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 97183C7D-734D-4532-904F-EB35EB0C66A4.jpeg
    97183C7D-734D-4532-904F-EB35EB0C66A4.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 270
  • B8AF6D0E-DC57-43DF-B394-90C8A57CD2B2.jpeg
    B8AF6D0E-DC57-43DF-B394-90C8A57CD2B2.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
You have a multitude of options. Will be easier to decide WHAT you want, then see if it will work on your flue. It is pointless to get a HETAS guy out unless you defo want solid fuel or wood. Most SF/wood stoves require a flue liner. They (HETAS) tend to be a lot more expensive than GasSafe guys. Depending upon whether the flue is on the outer wall of the house, and the height from the opening, pretty much any gas fire will work.

On a slightly different note, that fir is almost cetainly fitted wrongly. The opening is too high, and the hearth is too low. Obviously not an issue if you have a new one fitted properly, and you would be nuts to replace with a simalar type anyway. If you intend to keep the surround, you will need a back panel of some sort.

Thanks and agreed regarding the existing not being suitable.

When you say about the back panel, do you mean over the bricks?

Chimney is on the party wall, so not an outside wall.

Could a gas stove be installed without having to drop a liner down the chimney? Would be good to utilise the existing gas supply. I currently am looking at a Dovre 280 with ‘conventional flue’.

Thanks and agreed regarding the existing not being suitable.

When you say about the back panel, do you mean over the bricks?

Chimney is on the party wall, so not an outside wall.

Could a gas stove be installed without having to drop a liner down the chimney? Would be good to utilise the existing gas supply. I currently am looking at a Dovre 280 with ‘conventional flue’.

To fot a modern gas fire, that opening would need to be reduced. Normaly marble, but could be brickwork.

Re the Gas Stove. I have been out if the business for 7 years, but, at that time, some makers insisted on a liner, others only if the flue is defective. One has to read the manufacturers instructions carefully. Easiest way is to speak to an installer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back