Can I knock through this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detatched brick built garage with pitched timber/felt roof. Next to the garage is a permanent lean-to style outbuilding that runs the length of the garage on one side. I want to knock through from the garage into the lean-to to create more storage space within the garage.

The wall I'm looking at is single skin brick, with a brick column/pillar half way along. Ideally I would knock through each side of this, creating two openings into the lean-to area. I would like those openings to each be around 2.5m wide, not just the width of a normal door.

The wall is around 2.5m high. The lean-to is only around 2m high, so there would be around 3-5 courses of brick above the openings.

Is this possible? Stupid idea? Do I need building regs input, or can I (or a builder) just crack on? In Scotland if it makes a difference.

How would something like this be done? I know a lintel/RSJ etc would need to be put in place, but I can't get my head around how that would be put in place whilst at the same time supporting the structure above. Also if anyone can suggest a rough price that a builder might charge for this then I'd be all ears. Thanks.

06.jpg

092.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah looks like it should be straight forward enough to do just looking for two slap throughs either side of the pier...as for supporting the brickwork and roof above the job whilst the work is getting done have a look at acro props with strong boys. Should give you an idea of how it works (y)... as a (very rough) guide to pricing you would be looking at about £500 for labour plus your acros lintels etc

Just realised you were looking at putting 2.5m openings in either side might be worth getting a SE to have a look just to make sure the roof will be properly supported

Last edited:
Yeah looks like it should be straight forward enough to do just looking for two slap throughs either side of the pier.

Slap through? Is that the strongboy things?

Should give you an idea of how it works (y)..

Yes, understand it now! Thank a lot.

Just realised you were looking at putting 2.5m openings in either side might be worth getting a SE to have a look just to make sure the roof will be properly supported

At what point would you advise an SE? 2m? 1.5m? Just wondering how far I can push it before spending more cash.

Thanks a lot.

Slap through? Is that the strongboy things?

Yes, understand it now! Thank a lot.

At what point would you advise an SE? 2m? 1.5m? Just wondering how far I can push it before spending more cash.

Thanks a lot.

Nah a slap through is just slang for forming a new opening.

You could just hire strong boys and yer acros from yer local hire place where abouts in Scotland are ye?

I wouldn't want to give you a specific opening size for calling in a SE just when I read you were opening up 2 x 2.5 m doorways it sounded like something you might want to get calculated properly to make sure your roof is properly supported. I would imagine they would ask for RSJs sitting on padstones (which would incur more of a cost) but again I'm just speculating. (y)

Sponsored Links
Yes knock through no b/regs and no SE

Cut a slot for the lintel with a saw and you may not need to prop it if the wall is sound and you don't bang it about too much. Saw vertical cuts for the opening.

Yes knock through no b/regs and no SE

Cut a slot for the lintel with a saw and you may not need to prop it if the wall is sound and you don't bang it about too much. Saw vertical cuts for the opening.

Thanks. For future reference, how would I know if building regs/BC need to get involved? I thought anything structural. In this case the wall I want to knock through is holding up the roof, but as it's a detatched garage does that make it exempt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back