Can I Lower Basement Floor After Digging up for Damp Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had to dig up part of my basement floor for damp proofing and while I was there I was wondering if I might be able to lower the floor without underpinning. From the photos you can see that I have a stepped brick foundation with a cement footer underneath. I'm wondering if I can dig down to the base of the cement footer foundation and then fill it with proper flooring so that the new floor is just above the cement footer?

This should be me and extra 8 inches or so which I think would make a big difference to the room. I don't want to do the work if I needed to get something structural done because this will make the costs too high to make it worthwhile, but it does seem possible to get the floor lowered without too much hassle, although I'd have to put applicances on a raised ledge because of the stepped foundation,

I hope you can help,

Many thanks,

Anthony.

IMG_20170820_133221.jpg

dampScaled.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back