Poured concrete first floor and foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY-ers,
In my house the first floor and foundation is poured concrete. The bad part is that it was set in normal farmland (clay?) without any sand or gravel underneath.

This summer I plan on doing something for the first floor /basement that has about 4-5 feet of dirt that now has settled. A layer of tar was applied outside but apparently not well enough. The inside is plastered with sand-lime-cement.

What are my options? (It's not not in USA or a EU country so my options are somewhat limited when it comes to materials)

I have thought of:
- using Penetron outside. That would require removing the tar somehow.
- placing a thick polystyrene sheet against the wall, sand /gravel after it and then normal dirt.
- a combination of two, but the polystyrene part is the easiest.

Can I do anything for the bottom part? I cannot dig underneath it and cannot life the brick house ;), at most I might be able to dig at the outside perimeter. is there something I can put underneath to gain any sort of advantage, however limited?

It rains a lot but there's no running water as far as I can tell, just normal moisture. Any water can very easily be moved far away from the foundation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back