Pouring concrete under existing foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension on a sloped site which requires some underpinning. Just wondering if anyone has the best method to pour underneath the existing foundations as shown in this picture after the face shuttering goes on. Had various thoughts like creating a wedged gap to pour the concrete into and even core drilling a hole to pour the concrete through from above.

Any ideas or pointers very gratefully recieved

IMG_3533.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'm building an extension on a sloped site which requires some underpinning. Just wondering if anyone has the best method to pour underneath the existing foundations as shown in this picture after the face shuttering goes on. Had various thoughts like creating a wedged gap to pour the concrete into and even core drilling a hole to pour the concrete through from above.

Any ideas or pointers very gratefully recieved

View attachment 342840
At what height will the new pour finish? If it's lower than the underside of the concrete catch area, then you need to build a stepped shutter, in order to be able to build up the concrete levels under the existing. Either that, or pour the concrete allowing it to set lower, then build a retainer and pour a later concrete catcher.
As long as the conc' is wet enough and you have the right tools, you can pour through a small gap.

At what height will the new pour finish? If it's lower than the underside of the concrete catch area, then you need to build a stepped shutter, in order to be able to build up the concrete levels under the existing. Either that, or pour the concrete allowing it to set lower, then build a retainer and pour a later concrete catcher.
As long as the conc' is wet enough and you have the right tools, you can pour through a small gap.
Great point, sorry I should have mentioned. So the pour will finish 300mm below the existing. So probably best to finish the pour and then tackle the "wall" with a solid and flat surface beneath it?

That would make sense, and the rebar will run through both to keep them tied together

You could make formwork to include a pouring spout alongside the existing. Fill it all up then a couple of days later remove the formwork and cut or chip away the cast of the spout shape, leaving a vertical joint between the old and new. This would become a movement joint, you could put sleeved rebar or movement ties through the formwork before casting.

Or if you want a rigid joint then could you just create a raised step in your new foundation alongside the old and fill the whole lot in one go?

Sponsored Links
You could make formwork to include a pouring spout alongside the existing. Fill it all up then a couple of days later remove the formwork and cut or chip away the cast of the spout shape, leaving a vertical joint between the old and new. This would become a movement joint, you could put sleeved rebar or movement ties through the formwork before casting.

Or if you want a rigid joint then could you just create a raised step in your new foundation alongside the old and fill the whole lot in one go?
Do you mean like a birdsmouth as below? I was thinking of doing all in one go, but this will be my first pour and the thought of collapse of the wall formwork would be just one terror too many for me.

1715510365525.png

Why not? Just prop it up well.

But decide whether you want that joint between old and new to move or not and tie as needed. If a movement joint then you want a vertical break with movement ties across it.
You're right of course, only my nerves holding me back. I'll see how solid I can make the form and can either fill in one go or fill in parts

Pour up to 75mm below the underpinned foundation. This leaves a gap. Then 24hr later fill the 75mm with dry pack. Wet pour concrete will shrink a bit so doing it this way minimises the risk of it not properly supporting the existing foundation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back