Can i lower this drain hopper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all.

During last night's monsoon, the patio flooded to three inches deep.

Obviously, the hopper is sod all good for draining that, as it stands.

Can I drop it down closer to ground level?

I've checked today, and it is connected to the main inspection pit on my driveway.
IMAG0097.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you can it will mean lowering the outlet pipe its connected to and the ability to do that will depend on how much gradient there is on the pipe to the connected inspection chamber

If the hopper is taking grey water to the sewer, the water company might take a dim view of it being used for surface water...

Surface water.

That explains a bit.

There are two other drains at the rear of the property, similar to the one pictured, and similarly-elevated above surface.
Rainwater downpipes are directed into those.
I don't know where they drain to though (not on drain plans).

I ran the hose down them today, and nothing went through the inspection manhole.
Will they connect to a separate main somewhere?
Where would I begin to look?

House is late 60s build.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Others will be wiser... I just know that in many cases, the preferred way to deal with grey and rain is to separate them. It's usually in planning permissions these days. 60s though, could well be mixed. Can't help further, sorry.

Surface water could go to separate sewer or soakaways. Do the water company have a item on the bill for dealing with surface water

Surface water could go to separate sewer or soakaways. Do the water company have a item on the bill for dealing with surface water

There is no separate and property specific surface water charged cited, just a standing charge and usage charge.

The main sewer runs under the pavement to the front, in front of the row of houses.

Is there likely to bed a surface water equivalent, running parallel to the foul sewer but in the back gardens?

There is no separate and property specific surface water charged cited, just a standing charge and usage charge.

The main sewer runs under the pavement to the front, in front of the row of houses.

Is there likely to bed a surface water equivalent, running parallel to the foul sewer but in the back gardens?
Possibly but not likely since you are not charged for surface water disposal, you can always request plans from your water company but this may flag up surface water charges not being raised (but unlikely)

Possibly but not likely since you are not charged for surface water disposal, you can always request plans from your water company but this may flag up surface water charges not being raised (but unlikely)

since you are not charged for surface water disposal,

I think I am, just not separately and property-specific: see attached:

Do Severn Trent just bundle surface water treatment into their bills anyway, regardless of whether it goes through their system, or to private soakaways?

Do Severn Trent just bundle surface water treatment into their bills anyway, regardless of whether it goes through their system, or to private soakaways?
No they have to dispose of it to charge although you can have soakaways and if your front garden drains towards the highway they charge for surface water removal regardless. But as since you are paying ask them for surface water sewers info serving your property

Might have got the wrong end of the stick...

If you are talking about having the drain flush with the paving, perhaps a 'lowback P trap' might help.
These are usually shorter than bottle gullys/hoppers. But it will be a bit of buggering around fitting.

Why is one of the white pipes resting on the hopper?

It's not a hopper, it's a gulley.

Did three inches of rain fall on your patio? Or did rain run onto it from roof gutters or something?

Stand back and take some wider pics to show what is going on.

Might have got the wrong end of the stick...

If you are talking about having the drain flush with the paving, perhaps a 'lowback P trap' might help.
These are usually shorter than bottle gullys/hoppers. But it will be a bit of buggering around fitting.

Why is one of the white pipes resting on the hopper?

God knows why, but one of the white pipes contains a hose, that feeds water to the washing machine (in the garage).

It's not a hopper, it's a gulley.

Did three inches of rain fall on your patio? Or did rain run onto it from roof gutters or something?

Stand back and take some wider pics to show what is going on.

Apart from what fell, the rain is running from the gutter and overwhelming the drain.
Plus, the drain is above the patio, so patio water can't drain that way until it's deep enough.

my first thought is to put a large water butt under the downspout, and run an overflow a way up the garden (for it to soak away there).

Apart from what fell, the rain is running from the gutter and overwhelming the drain.
Plus, the drain is above the patio, so patio water can't drain that way until it's deep enough.

my first thought is to put a large water butt under the downspout, and run an overflow a way up the garden (for it to soak away there).

Show us this downpipe, and where it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back