Flooding, French Drains and Tick Bend Alternatives

B

Barry505

Hello All,

I have had a drainage/flooding problem in my rear garden/dining room.

As a result i'm now in the middle of:
1- Lowering the rear garden (its currently higher than the inside of dining room)
2 - Installing a couple of french drains (with limestone chippings and perforated pipe).

I was hoping to direct the perforated pipe in to the rectangular rain water hopper which would be okay but now that I've lowered the garden the hopper is far to high. I then thought to lower the hopper, however, as this goes in to a tick bend and then the mains i'm not sure whether this would work as the mains pipe is rather high.

Is it now a case of extending the tick bend down deeper? will this work as the hopper could end up being lower than the pipe to the mains! or is there an alternative which I can install to prevent problems and still have efficient water movement?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Ill try and get a photo up here.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
that is getting pretty crowded never mind adding more in. You could really do with an inspection chamber in there.

Also depending on the size of your house and garden and local authorities you may not be allowed to do it anyway.

Crowded? You mean for the size of the pipe, and not being able to shift the volume of water?

I'd still have the same problem with an inspection chamber in that it would be installed so low that I don't think that the water would pass through to the mains?!

Is there any system where a pipe can go directly to the mains without the use of a P-trap/Tick bend without the water/smells coming back up the pipes?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i mean crowded in the sense that trying to branch into that is going to leave a lot of junctions in close proximity and its likely to not only give you problems but also be impossible to clear should it need rodded etc.

You can use a bottle gulley instead of the p trap but that will raise it not lower it.

I don't really understand what you are talking about regarding going straight to the mains as that will again raise it in comparison to your p trap.

What is your current invert level of your outgoing sewer pipe? And what height is your new land drain coming in at?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back