Collapsed hopper head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i noticed this week that when it rains the side of my house was flooding, after removing all of the gravel i found that there was an old drain for the roof water buried underneath it all that i didn't even know existed. My problem is that now i have cleared it all and got it flowing again the old pot hopper head has collapsed and the bottom to the actual water trap about 1 1/2 foot down has also cracked and a piece is missing so the water that is meant to sit in there slowly soaks into the ground right next to the house foundations. As its hell of a job i do not want to did this out and replace the whole thing all the way to the manhole.

I should have no problems repairing the base with cement when all the water has had time to drain away. A good inch on the bottom of the trap will still allow enough water to sit in there but stop it seeping out hopeful. But as for repairing the head i am not sure what to do, my guess is that it is all part of the whole hopper. The idea that i have is to get one of the new plastic hopper heads and grates and cement it into the collapsed and slightly sunken old one. As this has dropped about an inch it should sit just slightly proud of he drive.

Does this sound like an acceptable way to repair this drain or amy i going way off track. Any advice would be great.

Cheers Jon

Sponsored Links
not entirely sure im fully understanding but if the rain water pipe goes to a soakaway id just remove the gully(hopper as youre calling it) and run a straight pipe and bend to the down pipe.If its flowing to a foul drain then you will need a gully.

I think you are referring to a old stoneware gulley. Best plan as said is to replace it.

Dig around it carefully until you expose a section of the outlet pipe. You'll need an angle grinder, and carefully cut through this pipe, leave room on a section to fit a 'Fernco' type coupling, this will adapt the pipe to 110mm plastic. Then you can replace the gulley with a new plastic version, no need to replace the pipe back to the manhole. Riser sections are available for the bottle gullies to raise the height of the grating to suit your finished level if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back