Tree Roots in drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently put my hand in the square hopper of my drain to clear out some leaves and felt a tree root.

After clearing out the leaves at the bottom of the hopper, I then put my hand into the exiting part of the hopper that drains the water off. Inside I could feel some moss like debris and also a root that wouldn't move I would guess probably 5-10mm in diameter.

I am not sure where this root is from and I suspect it could be historical as any trees around this drain have been cut down. I am not sure whether a drain has collapsed and it has grown through or whether anything is growing in the drain.

The water drains ok into my neighbours shared drain and there are no blockages. The shared drain is 3-4 metres away and I checked it by lifting the manhole on their drive.

I have homeserve but concerned I might not be covered for root damage. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_135145456.jpg
    PXL_20220908_135145456.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Try to snap it off with pliers/secateurs etc, to see if it indeed historical (so presumably dead), or alive.

Roots have entered your drain between your gulley and the shared manhole. They will continue to grow.
Roots can be cut away with a machine cutter but best to dig out the drain and repair it.
Possibly, foliage in your late planter might have been the cause of the roots.

FWIW: The level of the metal gulley grill was roughly the original ground level, your gl has been built up too high.

Could this be why it's wet there? perhaps the old salt glaze pipework has a crack in it?

Sponsored Links
Hi all thanks for the replies.
Would this be covered by homeserve on the grounds the drain is intermittently blocking, suspect will need a drain survey?

Or would this unlikely covered by their policy. It looks unclear reading the policy.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back