Drainage and tree roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had a nightmare with a surface water drain that crosses a neighbouring property. It kept blocking so I dug out the cracked gully and about 2m of clay pipe and found it was still blocked for several metres into the neighbouring property (it passes directly under their conifer tree). When I rodded it out there were lots of tree roots so I called Yorkshire water and they have fitted some resin sleeves and left me to sort the drainage on my own side so I’ve fitted Brown PVC pipe and bends. Are the tree roots likely to get in again at the rubber seals? If so should I encase it in concrete?

Sponsored Links
electrogear, good evening.

Over time possibly? all depends on the Vigor of the root systems, their water demand, and because the ground has been disturbed, it tends to act as an underground wet/ damp area.

Sorry but there is no real meaningful answer to your question.

As an aside, is the drain serving more than one property? if so, dependent on layout the Local Water may have a duty to repair?

Also, if the water authority is not "liable" [for a shared drain ] then you can make an Insurance claim under your home Insurance heading of "Damage to Underground Services"

Ken.

electrogear, good evening.

Over time possibly? all depends on the Vigor of the root systems, their water demand, and because the ground has been disturbed, it tends to act as an underground wet/ damp area.

Sorry but there is no real meaningful answer to your question.

As an aside, is the drain serving more than one property? if so, dependent on layout the Local Water may have a duty to repair?

Also, if the water authority is not "liable" [for a shared drain ] then you can make an Insurance claim under your home Insurance heading of "Damage to Underground Services"

Ken.

Hi Ken thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, Yorkshire water (the local authority) have done the repairs to the drain across the boundary as per their obligations.

I’ve fitted the new pipework and gully. My only question is whether I should encase the new plastic pipework in concrete or not?

Sponsored Links
Roots are attracted to the water leaking from frequently weeping and cracked cement joints in old drains, but this is unlikely to occur with modern plastic drainage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back