How to identify roof gutter drain type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've got two blocked drains that are fed by gutter downpipes. Both are chick full of dirt and tree roots, I can't easily remove due to the drains having a ubend pipe in them.

Ideally I need to dig them up and replace with modern plastic - but not yet sure if they connect to the mains sewer or a soak away.

Is there an easy way to tell? I've tried looking in the manhole cover to see if any water flows in, but I can't see any when I pour water down the drain. Not sure if the waste pipe connects to the sewer after the manhole inspection cover or not, so can't say that test is conclusive.

Open to any suggestions as currently heavy rain just causes my drains to overflow onto the house wall. Not ideal!

Sponsored Links
Get some drain dye from Toolstation and test the gullys.

Andy

Get some drain dye from Toolstation and test the gullys.

Andy

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a go, but not sure if the drain pipe connects via a Y piece pipe that's not accessible after the inspection cover.

Sponsored Links
So, I've got two blocked drains that are fed by gutter downpipes. Both are chick full of dirt and tree roots, I can't easily remove due to the drains having a ubend pipe in them.

Ideally I need to dig them up and replace with modern plastic - but not yet sure if they connect to the mains sewer or a soak away.

Is there an easy way to tell? I've tried looking in the manhole cover to see if any water flows in, but I can't see any when I pour water down the drain. Not sure if the waste pipe connects to the sewer after the manhole inspection cover or not, so can't say that test is conclusive.

Open to any suggestions as currently heavy rain just causes my drains to overflow onto the house wall. Not ideal!
Firstly, Is your ground clay or free draining?

If the drains are blocked with growing matter, it sounds like they may be connected to an old soak-away and that it may have reached it's usefulness. Arbitrarily connecting to the sewer is not the sensible option but the easy one.

BC and regulations would always have you digging a new soak-away, so that you drain your storm water onto your own property. This is the case for all new or re-furbished drainage. Connecting to the sewer is a last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back