Converting gutter downpipe into new soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New extension going in with an En Suite. I'll need a new soil pipe with it, but realised there's already a gutter drain near enough to it. I've been trying to work out if it's connected to the sewer, without as much proof as I think I need...

I put a hose down the drain and after a while, water runs slowly through the sewer past the manhole cover, only 2m away. And it takes a long time to stop afterwards. This feels like it might just be blocked from moss falling down the drainpipe over the years? this drain pipe is directly inline with the one on the front of the house so I think they're connected in a straight line under the house, but I'm half baffled about why the water I see in the sewer only "sort of" matches what I put down the drain. It also sounds quite echoey down the gutter drain... as if there were some sort of chamber down there?

Ideally I'd like to prove this is just a bit blocked up and I could replace the drain pipe with a full soil pipe, and run the existing gutter into it, and not need to dig a new trench to connect to the manhole... I can do it if I really have to, but I'm hoping someone might be able to guess what's going on underground from my description?! Do I just need to get it properly flushed through by force to make it behave like I think it should?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Use green drain dye to be sure. If it's that slow though it could be leaking from one drain to another.

IMG_2289.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back