can I make a roof void a fire compartment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post!
Looking at a conversion of a large surgery into three ground floor only 2 Bed units. The roof is a complicated trussed rafter construction spanning over all three proposed flats. I would compartment the flats, but running up to the underside of the roof finish through the void would be a massive job, can't work out if it's OK to make the roof void a separate compartment (with detection) to get over this...anyone know??

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, the dividing walls would need to be carried up to the underside of the roof finish.
Approved Document B specifically states that the roof void over the top (ie any) storey of a compartment is included within that compartment.

Thanks for that, the trussed rafters are designed as a single large span, and so that would render the project non-viable, as each 'roof' would not be structurally independent....thus the roof would have to be replaced!

Presumably the trusses run perpendicular to the party walls between the flats, then?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the plan shape is irregular, and you can't make it work with party walls/compartments along the line of truss orientation. In addition due to the shape the truss layout is complicated...so it would be a massive roof off exercise, it's a good roof too!

If you could prove that failure of one part of the truss in a fire would not affect the stability of the truss-parts over the other flats, then it would be acceptable.
But you would need an assessment from an SE to verify this.

(structural timbers are allowed to pass through a compartment wall if they are well mortared in or otherwise fire-stopped).

Tony...many many thanks for your comments, checked it out with b.control today and an SE....all good, offer in and accepted. That keeps me out of mischief this summer then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back