Can I make an internal door using just a piece of plywood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just a cupboard door 63cm X 180cm. Can I just put some hinges on a single piece of plywood? Vaguely aware there are things called "styles" and "rails" but wondering if they just decorative :)
Ta

Sponsored Links
i have , many years ago , when i built some wardrobes with bridging units , all made from plywood
BUT recently I have made a cupboard mdf and used "T" hinges

how thick is the plywood

I have also used

but you could also use the CUP hinges , used on kitchen cabinets
my son-in-lw has made a lot of furniture with birch ply and used these type of hinge

with a Jig and fostner bit

peter millard has videos on youtube doing this

Sponsored Links
Perfect thanks :) Is it hard to come by straight plywood? Guessing a sheet with even a slight warp would cause problems?

possibly at 12mm - although good catches may keep it OK - but i have only used 18mm

I did use 12mm MDF on a toilet back unit , and side cupboard - BUT as my other half wanted shaker style - I used glue to also add some 9mm MDF strips to get the effect she wanted.

so overall 21mm

The cost of sheet birch finish plywood, has gone through the roof, i know my son-in-law had some birchply left over from a job, and recently wanted some more - and it was unobtainable and the prices quoted were ridiculous for the job, I think my daughter got a unit from FB market place in the end....

Perfect thanks :) Is it hard to come by straight plywood? Guessing a sheet with even a slight warp would cause problems?

I am guessing that you will need about 4 cup hinges, that will deal with minor warping in 18mm ply.

will do thanks for the tip

The following may help. I have only briefly scanned it though.

I would however recommend a decent hole cutter. Of the ones that I have used in the past, the best was the Makita 35mm

A decent cutter will be faster and cleaner. When drilling by hand, I part drill a 2mm pilot first for the spur to drop in to but an awl will suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back