Making a simple box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a bit of a pointless question but.....

Making a small box, about L X W X H 20" X 15" X 30".

I'm using 2X2 for the frame them screwing plywood to all sides and the same for the front only using 2 hinges also with a handle for a door.

Just a question about the frame, are there any better jointing methods rather than screwing each piece together with 2 screws in the end of the 2X2?

I know screwing would work fine but I guess I'm just trying to be a bit fancier (I'm after strength more than looks though)

Bearing in mind I am amature at wood work with basic hand tools only (power and cordless drills only).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ply is a very strong material and if you glue it (PVA glue is fine) to the 2x2 frame on 5 of the 6 faces, for a box of the dimensions given, there will be plenty or triangulated strength that it is not really necessary to do anything other than butt joints for the 2x2 frame.
When you hinge the door it is best practise to put hinges on the longest edge, ie, on the side when in portrait or on top when in landscape. This is to avoid too much cantilever action being exerted on the hinges.

Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back