Which joint would be stronger, tension/compression stress..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
suppose I have two pieces of 2x2 that I want to join (like a butt join on the 2x2 end) in a manner that will resist an applied tension/compression along the full length of the 2x2. There's a bit of shear, but mainly tension/compression..

Lacking a finger jointer or any similar tool, i'm limited to what I can do with a table saw, sliding compound mitre saw and circular saw

Should I:

Cut a 2x1x12 cuboid out of the end of each stud, meaning the two can overlap for 12 inches and a sort of square dog legged joint will appear on the side of the finished stud
or
Cut a wedge shape off the end of each stud, that starts out 2x2, but goes to nothing over the course of 12 inches, meaning that when overlapped a diagonal joint line will appear running across the stud

I'll be glueing and screwing each joint (partly threaded screws )

The wedge shaped one seems easier to do (I can make a set square of a fixed angle using some ply with a batten screwed to it at an angle), put it on the stud, run a circular saw along the angled ply
The square dog legged joint is harder, as i need to stick the end of the joint into the table saw for 12 inches (on a 4.8m stud) then cross cut it to half the depth.. Bit messy too because I have to cut deeper than 12 inches due to the blade being circular, before I crosscut

If the two joints are equal strength then all things considered i'll probably to the wedge shape, especially seeing as I'm using this technique to joint a 4.8m 2x2 and a 2.4m 2x2, and I'll then glue and screw bond this jointed piece, to another piece the sdame (but flipped over so the other joint is about 2.4m away from the first one)

If none of this makes sense, let me know and I'll post up a pic..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you are considering a half lap splice (several derivatives) in your first example and a scarf joint in your second......either are pretty good but benefit from side plating (fish plating ) on either side for added strength, with plenty of quality adhesive and screws.
John :)

whats the application a stepped scarf joint with a 10mm step would be pretty strong that would allow you to screw near to the ends of the joint

I'm thinking a 400mm scarf on a 50mm timber (1:8 ratio) with screws at 200mm and 300mm. The downside I have with a stepped scarf is I need to do this joint 100 times (so at least 150 cuts) and it'll take forever if the cuts change direction..

If I make it a simple scarf that goes to nothing at each end I can hopefully just make a jig of the angle required, slap it on the timber and run the circular saw along the jig in one cut, to get my scarf?

Sponsored Links
ah I see 100 is a different matter. sounds about OK otherwise, make sure both surfaces are evenly covered in glue, screw from both sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back