Squeaky flying joint in chipboard: no access, no noggin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Thinking hats at the ready..
The chipboard flooring in an upstairs room is squeaking badly.
I've managed to drill some small holes at get a USB snake camera in and it looks like there are no noggins - they are truly flying.
Need ideas if you have any...
The only options I can think of are:
1) cut out the flying joint and replace with a full piece resting properly on the joists. This will leave weak spots where the blunt edges meet.
2) use a spatula to push some PVA down into the joint
3) push in some wood dust/PVA mix paste
4) cut out a V channel where the joint is and pack that with wood dust/PVA mix. I'd do this with a circular set at an angle.
5) try some cavity wall screws to pull the joint together.
6) buy some earplugs

Any ideas or options?

Sponsored Links
Might be worth trying some styrene free polyester resin from screwfix, in a normal mastic gun.- drill a hole the size of the applicator nozzle just through the face of the board but not the tongue inside - pump it in and see how far it travels by drilling another hole - then repeat all along the joins. Got to be stronger than pva;)

great idea. Thank you. I've just been investingating further and some of the boards aren't even screwed to the joists. More fun, drilling my inspection holes - found my plastic water pipes. after changing my pants I figured with a metal wire they were deep enough not to get hit by a rogue scew and managed to screw down.

No guarantee it will fix the squeak, even correctly fixed chipboard is prone to squeaking.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that long edge joints should always be supported on a joist or if across joists at 400mm or les centres. I'd cut out a section spanning the joint (circular saw and screwed-on batten to get a really straight cut), add in extra noggins then refloor, screwing (150 t0 200mm centres) and glueing the joints, the chipboard to the noggins as well as where the straight edges of the chipboard meet. I'd use PU (polyurethane) glue for this

Chipboard is an awful material so start saving up to replace it with ply.

This will probably cause a few comments, but I think that the problem is that there are far too many house bashers and small builders out there who, frankly, don't have a clue how to install it properly (e.g. unsupported joints, nailed not screwed, insufficient fixings, joints not glued - or if glued done when the temperature was so low that the glue chalked out, incorrect grade of chipboard used, etc). All it takes is a bit more care and a bit less "throw it in as quick as you can on a price and to hell with the quality because I won't have to live with it". I have worked with far too many of these guys in recent years and I find the attitude they have to the end job to be despicable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back