More chipboard floor problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have searched for a solution to my problem and haven't had any luck so hopefully someone can assist.

I have a converted garage that I have just moved the kitchen into having previously used it as a study. Obviously, the floor was raised to get all the plumbing in. Having not been at home during the initial conversion some 18 months ago I wasn't fully prepared for what I was to see when the floor was eventually lifted. Under the chipboard floor was a layer of thin MDF closely followed by around 4" of foam. It was a challenge just to get the chipboard up!

Anyway, so having run the plumbing down one side of the room and packed back up with left over foam, the MDF and chipboard went back down. All nice and flat all along the section where the pipework now runs apart from the entrance to the room but I do have a problem. To say I have a squeak is an under statement. We're talking the Adams Family front door here. The normal option would be to add more screws but the floor is not screwed down as there's nothing to screw to! When installed, the fitters had used nails into the foam. Somehow it fixed it very tightly but I don't seem to be having the same response.

The main problem is the chipboard was cut using a circular saw and it's the ends that are rubbing but they're also now uneven. Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve this? I initially thought of cutting out a section of foam where the boards meet and sliding in a cut of 4x2 to screw the chipboard to but I guess even this may cause issues.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Sponsored Links
assuming the cuts are relatively strait use a bit off 2x1" [wide side]screw to the floor on all unsuported edges half and half
this will give you a ledge to sit the floor on and screw to

if it meanders a bit use 3x1 just make shure you have a minimum of 20mm "overlap"

if this doesn't fully work or is impractical in some areas use talcum to lubricate the ends where the noise is ;)

In addition to the talcum powder remedy. I have had success with melting candle wax into the squeaking joints and adding graphite powder on top of this in extreme cases.

Thanks for the tips. The talc certainly works well. How long is this likely to last for out of interest?

Sponsored Links
no real way of knowing
the talk acts as a lubricant and stops the fibres off the wood rubbing[squeeking] or jumping aginst each other ]creaking and groaning]

just depends when all the minute particles come off the wood

i would fix the job propperly if you aim to remove easy acccess with a fitted carpet or other fixed floor covering as i suspect it will be weeks rather than months ;)

Thought as much, thanks.

Haven't got round to sorting the floor yet. So many other things to do! A man's work is never done... etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back