Can I Move A Meter & Fusebox If Nothing Is To Disconnect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My meter, isolator & old fusebox + extra fused connections for a ring into an extension, heating & shower (no space in main fusebox) are all together on the inside of a main, originally external solid wall.

I am looking to open this wall (exactly where all the above is) into the existing extension.

The wall is about 13inches thick and wider than the widest part of all the above (including the wooden board the meter and apparatus is mounted on)

The easiest solution seems to be to just move back and turn the whole lot through 90degrees to the left and sink into a resess in the newly formed side of the "hole" into the extension, this could then be neatly boxed and have a door flush to the wall for access.

The main supply cable drops in from above and is loose, in that I am in an end terrace and have meters of supply cable laying spare in the loft that can be pulled easily further down as needed.

I envisage that turning 90degrees will mean needing to also drop about 12inches so that all the wiring coming up to the box from the floor boards to the fusebox will have enough slack to reach the new location.

There would be no need to disconnect any cable or seal at all and the only wiring change required would be a slight re-route to the incoming cabled from below and the pull through of 12inches or so more supply cable from the loft.

So - is this permissible to do myself??

I can't see anything at all that the supply company or an electrician would need to do providing nothing was dislodged and no cable became loose from being moved.

I do intend to put in a new CU unit at some stage to tidy everything up a bit, but that's possibly for another time.

If this seems ok, is there a good way to explain this procedure (or even a need to) on the building regulations form I will be putting in to cover the opening of the wall itself?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Phil

Sponsored Links
So - is this permissible to do myself??
In a word, no. The DNO/electricity supplier own everything upto and including the meter. An electrcian will not move it - you must speak to your DNO who will likely do it for a fee.

I can't see anything at all that the supply company or an electrician would need to do providing nothing was dislodged and no cable became loose from being moved.
Hopefully the DNO won't quote you an absolute fortune but don't hold your breath. :cry:

I also have some 'slack' in my supply cable but would not dream of moving it. It looks very old and brittle and if something goes wrong your next line of protection/fuse is likely to be at the transformer - by the time this blows your arms might have come off! :LOL:

EDIT: Apologies. After re-reading your post i'd assumed you wanted to move your cut out and meter. Your fusebox could be moved (it is part of your installation) but you would need to make sure everything was properly isolated first. It's a job best left to a spark.

Thanks, but you were right first time, the whole lot needs to move, if the DNO has to come out then the tricky bit will be to figure when is best to get them out.

The wall everything is on will be going so the whole lot will dangle loose (secured in someway if needed) so i could get him to come in at any stage to reach up and pull through 12inches of supply cable before i start, when i am about to relocate everything, or before i start AND when its re-located to check all is ok!

Although they own the equipment, i own the wall its on, so surely i can remove the wall as i wont really be tampering with their equipment.

They just need to put on a glove, reach up a foot and pull 12inch of cable through (carefully as you say because of its possible condition) - although they may want to stick their head in my loft to comfirm that i am telling the truth about the spare cable up there! But all in all it could be a 30 second job!

Thanks for your input!

I suppose you could remove your wall and then try the "your equipment isn't fixed securely, please send someone out to re-secure it" :LOL: ... but its not really the done thing and there are hazards involved (and even more so if its a lead and paper cable!)

or take most of the wall down, leave the board supported on two or so fixings, so when he turns up to re-fix it, there is nothing in the current location to put a secure fixing in... might take coffee and biscuits as well tho

Not treally adviseable mind and building control wouldn't endorse it, and wouln't advise a DIYer to try it, although if the spark you get in to sort out the DB is a little underhand :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Can you upload a photo of the apparatus and supply cable?

How old does the supply cable look? Is it a PVC sheathed concentric, or and old lead covered type?

If the cable is modern and in good nick, I would say just do it.

if the DNO has to come out then the tricky bit will be to figure when is best to get them out.

It doesn't work like that. You call them and say you need a quote for the incomer to be moved. Wait 3/4 weeks for someone to come to look and probably another couple for a quote.

You then accept the quote and they will give you a day for them to come. Be prepared for a long lead time. You don't get a choice and they won't tell you if it will be at breakfast time or tea time.

PS They'll reschedule if something more urgent comes up (like high winds that blow down some power lines).

Pics Enclosed.

The supply cable goes straight into loft and is pretty old looking.

The label on the board lists the contact phone number in case of faults or quieries as "stocksfield 101" :p

From the pic it might be more obvious what i was wanting to do, imagine the back wall gone and the equipment swing back and left 90degrees, no cable disconnected, no seals broken. - the plastic conduit above is empty and i guess was to a light in loft, outside lights or sililar in past.

Thanks guys!

View media item 22583 View media item 22584 View media item 22585

Why don't you put an isolator on the wall where you want it, book them to move the cutout and meter to the new isolator, then move the circuits and CU/s at your leisure.

I think I can almost guarantee there will be one circuit cable that isn't long enough ...

Main earth!? I just went and had another look, single supply cable into main fuse, two cables from there to meter, 2 from meter to isolater/trip (just off pic to right), 2 from there to fuse box, without opening i cant see where earth is from although the extra fuse underneath does have earth cables to and from it!

Looks to me like a TT supply fed from overhead lines, hence why the cable comes down the wall into the CU.

You may have a rod somewhere.

If you don't, you should sort this before you consider moving it!

That sounds like a voltage Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker. These are now obsolete and do not provide any protection.

It will need replacing with an RCD. The type of RCD will need determining by a competent electrician as I suspect that you have a TT system (is your mains feed from overhead cables?).

If so you are going to need a few things looked at and updated - and that could include the whole fuseboard.

Pic enclosed!

Its a Crabtree and has 60amp marked by the switch.

As for supply, I am under the impression that the supply cable runs down the street through lofts. It certainly comes into my loft from next door and i am on the end of about 30 houses!

I would not be suprised in the slightest if its obsolete, everything I seem to come across in this house has been badly done, put together or built!

View media item 22590

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back