Can I move my stopcock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Hopefully a few easy questions for you......
1) can I move my stopcock from the house to the garage? The stopcock is in the corner of the utility room presently and the garage is joined to the side of this room. I can take the mdpe pipe under the floorboards and out along the garage floor. The UV tank and boiler are in there you see, and the route of the new pipe would be about 3 metres that's all.
2) am I allowed to do it or does it need to be a signed off job?
3) I will need to replace the stopcock. I'm going to use philmac fittings, so should use their stopcock or are brass ones better? Ideally, rather than a screw in tap, I'd like to use a full bore ball valve. Any reason I can't?
4) would it be wise to fit a surestop in this pipe and have the switch in the house, or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Thanks guys, really appreciate any help/opinions/ideas as always :)

Alex

Sponsored Links
1) Yes, all the cold water pipes on your property are your responsibility. Move the stopcock wherever you want to.
2) no signing off needed.
3) Brass or Polyguard stopcock, doesn't really matter, just personal choice.
4) I know of Surestop but not met anyone who has installed one.

Hello pal, many thanks for the reply!
Excellent news then I can move the sod.

The surestop I've read can be a bit troublesome, and at £50 If I don't really need one I might not bother. It was more an opinion as to wether people think i need to be able to turn the stopcock off from the house or if being in the adjoining garage isn't a problem.

Alex

Its fine if you can turn it off from the garage.

You need to be careful that the supply pipe and stopcock, and any subsequent pipework, cannot freeze in cold weather.

Sponsored Links
A very good point, and I have quite a bit of armaflex 22mm lagging i can wrap around it. It's going from the utility room into the garage without going outside so I'm hoping it won't be any more at risk than it was before.

I'll knock the surestop on the head then. It will actually be quite an easy job to retrofit if it becomes a problem. (Can't really see it will to be honest)

So is a full bore 1/4 turn ball valve ok as a stop cock? I'll have to go for a compression fitting to go onto the 25mm pipe if that makes a difference.
Cheers
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back