Can I or can I not test Voltage with it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, greetings from a miserable rainy yorkshire.

Was at college on Friday covering the topic of " Safe Isolation of Elecrical Systems". Tutor gets on to instruments that test for voltage, and he says that you have to buy one of these "safety lamp" affairs that has a cable as thick as your finger on it or we will all be pushing up the daisies.

I own a Fluke megohmMeter 1520, which according to the distructions says it will test up to 600V ac/dc. I know I purchased it to do the continuity and insulation resistance tests, but is there any reason why it can not be used to check power on/power off safely

ps the leads are fused, but not as thick as voltage indicators ( unlike me!!!)

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Officially you should use an approved isolation tester for testing dead following the correct isolation procedure.

Hi spark 123

By "officially", do you mean that is what he has to teach us?

seriously though, if I need a seperate voltage tester so be it, I just need to know ( I used to own one of them light up screwdrivers, so at least I am in a better position than then - :oops: )

So officially is everyone meant to have a voltage test lamp and proving device; then go around using them to check every accessory before it is worked on? Is this what the NICEIC inspector will expect if carrying out any work or testing?

(i've got a fluke voltstick, i doubt this complies).

Sponsored Links
I take it by this we are now talking business as opposed to DIY?
Just having a look at guidance note GS38 from the HSE which outlines the requirements for Electrical Test Equipment for use by electricians.
It says "where a test is being made simply to establish the presence of absence of voltage, the preferred method is to use a proprietary test lamp or 2-pole voltage detector suitable for the working voltage of the system rather than a multimeter. Accident history has shown that the use of incorrectly set multimeters or makeshift devices for voltage detection has often caused accidents. Note: test lamps and some voltage indicators may fail to danger eg a faulty lamp not indicating a live circuit. These devices should be proved before and after use on a known live test source or similar voltage to the circuit under test, or alternatively use a portable test source."

Using a neon screwdriver - I would not recommend anyone use themselves to form part of a circuit, relying on a resistor and a neon indicator to limit the current to a safe level. In my opinion these should be banned.

For the fluke voltstick, useful for finding duff fairylights / broken wires, not much use for anything else. You are correct in it does not comply.
This is one of the official type isolation testers (top one only):
http://www.martindale-electric.co.uk/indicats.htm.

some GS38 have self-testing thing on so you know if it is working or not, your fluke tester probably doesnt have self-testing on it.

they have large finger slip guard things too so you dont slip on to live parts

GS38 is probably what you will use when you come to do the practical exam at the end of the course - as they provide tools for you,

The test lamps are great for discharging capacitively charged circuits. The lamp as a suitably low reistnce to 'eat' any rouge volts. The multimeter types have a ery high internal resistance, and will often show 230volt on a dead circuit which has a high capacitance.

Please remove. Why does the PHP script double posts sometimes - even if you don't click submit twice :confused:

So you can get GS38 compliant volt testers that self test? This removes the need for a proving unit i presume?

Yes, although if you are working on a lighting circuit in a house there is nothing to stop you using a socket outlet for proving anyway. The ones I have now have a self test although I still go through the live, dead, live proof test to be on the safe side.

thanks for the replies chaps

Dingbat I know what you mean about the fluke, two hands, an armpit and a knee are not enough sometimes :LOL:

So what do you already in the industry use?, we have established what you are supposed to have, just out of interest

Jim you are right about us using the martingdale and proving unit, they were showing us last week

thanks again

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back