Can I paint MATT over Vinyl SILK on a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

This time last year my son skim plastered our sitting room ceiling, which is 35m2
to hide the Artex.

In the past I've always used Dulux Vinyl Silk for walls & ceilings.

So to get a really good finish I gave it 4 coats, which was a bit of a job because it's so big.

A year on and the room is still not finished, but we hope to have it ready for Autumn.

BUT I've come to dislike the silk finish - a lot.

So a few weeks ago I phoned the Dulux technical department to ask if I can paint
over the silk with matt.

The guy said you can, but you'd have to rub it down first.

It's so big I really do not want to do that.

MY QUESTION

I know the Dulux guy had to give me that answer, but in your experience do you
think I'd get away with it - will it stick - or will it peel away?

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Stephen.

The man from Dulux was correct in his advice, shiny surfaces need to be keyed before a repaint.

If you were to paint straight over the silk without providing that initial key, the brush and indeed roller would only glide over the surface. Thus giving you a poor finish and no bonding between paint systems.

Treat yourself to a very inexpensive pole sander and all abrading can be done from floor level. Don't forget eye protection and wear a dust mask.

Good luck

Dec.

As Dec says a pole sander is your best bet to provide a key. It might hurt your arms and neck for a bit but its worth the effort. Wickes do the head for about £10 and these will screw onto an existing roller pole. You dont have to go mad with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back