Can I plaster onto a wood wall support baton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
removing old skirting board from a plaster wall (render or other has fallen away - I need to fill ( what do I use to adhere to the wood support ) before putting in new skirting boards. Attached a pic to clarify my ? Note the wood support and remaining plaster - need something like a boding or other to level off plaster before connecting new skirting boards; many thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
I suppose you could cut some plasterboard and screw to the wood if you're concerned with bonding not adhering to the wood. Then you can fill out the board with bonding or multi finish if not too deep.

Thank you - thought of the plasterboard idea - but it is such a small area to fill and either way even bonding plaster and then a finishing plaster is a hell of a waste of materials - will have decide on the cheapest options many thanks - not much on any alternatives

Plasterers seem to leave the very bottom of the wall thats under skirting pretty roughly finished or I have i only seen cowboy plasterers? Could you put batton or fix wooden blocks the thickness of the plaster to support the bottom of the skirting and foam if you need to fill the spaces.
litl

Sponsored Links
Chisel the plaster off up to a certain level above the beam, then insert a cut piece of plasterboard and fix this to the timber. I did the same thing on my landing where there was a large wooden support behind the skirting. Don't go right down to the floor obviously - leave a small gap. Remember, skirting is only there to hide the gap between the floor and wall covering.

Can pick up plasterboard off-cuts anywhere (Gumtree, FB, etc.)

you don't need plaster behind skirting.

For a very nice finish, hold the skirting against the wall and draw a pencil line along the top.

Cut away the old plaster at that line and below using a bolster

screw a wooden batten to the wall meeting the cut plaster (it will be a ragged join which you will neaten later with plaster fill)

Screw another batten to the wall about 20mm up from the floor

The thickness of the batten is about the same as your plaster.

The battens need to be plugged and screwed quite firmly to the wall

You will see a gap where the floorboards don't meet the wall. Stuff this with mineral wool or inject fire-rated expanding foam to prevent draughts and dirt blowing up (for a better job, remove the floorboard and put in mineral wool underneath).

The skirting can be easily screwed to the battens with small countersunk screws. You can run speaker wire, aerial, phone and computer cabling in the gap between the battens (not electrical power cables for other reasons).

You can make a very neat join of the top of the skirting to the wall. If you ever need to move the skirting, e.g. if laying laminate, you can find the screwheads and undo them with less mess and damage than trying to pull it off the wall with big nail holes.

Again a very big thank all of you; especially to you JohnD for the long explanation a time taken to answer my question regards John S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back