Can I plaster over gloss-painted wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Due to the previous owner having fitted wardrobes, when I removed them, they left a thick line where the cornices had come away from the ceiling.

I decided to score the ceiling with one of those tools and set at it with a steamer. The ceiling is plasterboard that has been painted... wall-papered... then painted with gloss.

It has taken me several hours to get about a 10th of the ceiling done and I really can't be bothered to spend my next ten weekends trying to get it all removed.

If it is scored enough, could I just plaster over it or will the gloss paint prevent any adhesion?

Thanks,

Neil

20180707_190933.jpg

Sponsored Links
A friend has suggested I just pull the ceiling down and put up some new plasterboard. It's a 1960's ex-council house. That's definitely out of my league, but another option to a builder, I suppose.

Why rip it down, you wont believe the mess it could make. Can't you just nail or screw new pb to existing ceiling?

Why rip it down, you wont believe the mess it could make. Can't you just nail or screw new pb to existing ceiling?

If that's a 'thing', I have no problem doing that. I presume I would just have to screw it to the existing ceiling? I'd have to remove the ceiling light first to drill/cut a small hole for the cable to hang through.
I presume I'd have to buy/rent one of those plasterboard lifters.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If that's a 'thing', I have no problem doing that. I presume I would just have to screw it to the existing ceiling? I'd have to remove the ceiling light first to drill/cut a small hole for the cable to hang through.
I presume I'd have to buy/rent one of those plasterboard lifters.

Thanks.
I think it's important to locate the joist for securing the new plaster board. We just used a long baton with a wideish
rail screwed across the top. Just depends how handy you are. Will you have someone in to skim it?

I think it's important to locate the joist for securing the new plaster board. We just used a long baton with a wideish
rail screwed across the top. Just depends how handy you are. Will you have someone in to skim it?
Yeah. Would get someone to skim the ceiling. My plastering skills are adequate enough if I was to wallpaper the walls, but I'm not up for attempting a ceiling.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back