Can I plug a TV in here?

With a socket for the Immersion/pump/heating controls.
Hang on, there's something odd here. Immersion heater with 13A fuse OK, (but not via a plug & socket) then what about heating controls and pump. They should be fused at 3A and as I read the thread it appears that they are all connected via the same 13A plug. Yet no one has commented on this, or the total combined load. This sounds dodgy as it is, never mind adding anything else to the 'hash up'. Or have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
It should be on dedicated circuit,
Which regulation actually says what regarding that?

I would not recommend you spur of this circuit either, it could well be electrically safe with a small load such as a TV but this will then leave that circuit open to misuse and overload.
So just the same as every single socket circuit in the land, then.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a radial circuit being used to supply more than one item, provided it's properly designed. If you're going to worry about what people might do in the future with a circuit which has a socket on it then you'd never install any socket circuits except 20A radials feeding one outlet.

It should be on dedicated circuit,
Which regulation actually says what regarding that?
I don't believe there is an actual regulation that states that, But I will refer to Appendix H of the OSG(H5)

Everything we install is open to misuse as soon as we close the door and walk away, but I would like to think in my methods of installation that I help prevent this from being that easy!
Not everything needs to have a regulation number, common sense often needs to be applied.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a radial circuit being used to supply more than one item, provided it's properly designed. If you're going to worry about what people might do in the future with a circuit which has a socket on it then you'd never install any socket circuits except 20A radials feeding one outlet.
I agree with all that, the crucial bit being 'if properly designed'. I've tried similar arguments myself in the past, but have attracted quite a lot of dissent - some would say that, even if supplied via a FCU currently containing a 3A fuse, feeding a socket from a 16A circuit, 12/13A of which will sometimes be spoken for by another load (the immersion) does not represent 'proper design' - the argument being that it would be only too easy for someone to change the fuse in the FCU to a 13A one.

I personally would be happy with the arrangement in my house, whilst I was in control of what fuse was in the FCU (and what was plugged into the socket), but I can understand the concerns of others. However, as we often discuss, to what extent can/should one design with a view to all the 'inappropriate' things that people might decide to do with the installation at some point in the distant future?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Everything we install is open to misuse as soon as we close the door and walk away, but I would like to think in my methods of installation that I help prevent this from being that easy!
In that case you must never install any socket circuits with more than x outlets where 20x > In.

For if you do you have made it staggeringly easy for people to "misuse" the circuit and "overload" it in exactly the same way that you regard as such a potential problem with adding a socket to this immersion circuit that you recommend the OP not to do it.

Not everything needs to have a regulation number, common sense often needs to be applied.
The problem is when does "common sense" become "trotting out of advice with no actual sense being used at all"?

The problem is when does "common sense" become "trotting out of advice with no actual sense being used at all"?
Not sure what you mean, it seems a sensible option to me to find another source for the socket outlet. To prevent misuse and overloading of a circuit that is dedicated to the immersion heater.
and the guidance offered in appendix H seem to say the same!
Off I trot!

To prevent misuse and overloading of a circuit that is dedicated to the immersion heater.
Ye Gods.

You can no more "misuse and overload" that circuit than you can misuse and overload any socket circuit with more than x outlets where 20x > In.

To prevent misuse and overloading of a circuit that is dedicated to the immersion heater.
Ye Gods.You can no more "misuse and overload" that circuit than you can misuse and overload any socket circuit with more than x outlets where 20x > In.
BAS, whilst I was totally agreeing with you 2 or 3 posts back, I think you are now being deliberately awkward. Whilst what you say is true, you knoiw as well as I do that, certainly in 'unskilled' hands, it is far more likely that the immersion+socket 16A circuit would be overloaded than a standard socket circuit with multiple sockets. At those times when the immersion is drawing current, a pretty modest load on the socket would result in an overload situation - so, unless the designer had very good reason for knowing what loads were going to be plugged in (e.g. if under the supervision of 'skilled' people - or, as I said before, if I were the designer and was going to be in sole control of the socket) common sense suggests that it is far from an ideal design practice - even though we can all agree that any socket circuit whichsatisfies your criteria can be overloaded.

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry to throw this in now.

The fused plug in the airing cupboard goes to a metal box. Wires come from this and go to what look like 2 pumps and also the timer/control. When I pull this plug out. the pumps will not work and the light goes out on the control panel. I assumed I had an immersion as when I had a new consumer unit a few years ago the electrician labelled that circuit "Immersion"

I have a gas Back boiler if that helps but may or may not even have an immersion sorry.

Ready for backlash :(

The fused plug in the airing cupboard goes to a metal box. Wires come from this and go to what look like 2 pumps and also the timer/control. When I pull this plug out. the pumps will not work and the light goes out on the control panel. I assumed I had an immersion as when I had a new consumer unit a few years ago the electrician labelled that circuit "Immersion"
I have a gas Back boiler if that helps but may or may not even have an immersion sorry. Ready for backlash :(
Is there a hot water cylinder in this airing cupboard and, if so, is there something which looks like an immersion heater installed in it? An immersion heater should look something like this (click here to see) on the top and/or side of the cylinder, with a cable connecting it to somewhere.

Kind Regards, John.

Nothing like that on top as a pipe comes straight out of the top. There is a safety thermostat thing stuck to the side but apart from that I cant see much without taking its jacket off. If it makes a difference to what I can do weather it does or does not have an immersion. I will do that and find out.

Nothing like that on top as a pipe comes straight out of the top. There is a safety thermostat thing stuck to the side but apart from that I cant see much without taking its jacket off. If it makes a difference to what I can do weather it does or does not have an immersion. I will do that and find out.
It sounds as if you probably don't have an immersion heater, in which case what you wanted to do would become much more reasonable. What is the 'thermostat thing' connected to - the heating control panel? Would it be possible for you to upload some photos for us?

Kind Regards, John.

I dont think there is an immersion....

1 white flex power supply from plug
1 white flex to pump
1 white flex to timer/control
1 black flex to other pumpy thing
1 black flex to safety thermostat on tank
1 grey twin I assume to heating thermostat downstairs
1 grey twin I assume to boiler ignition in back boiler

Thermostat thing

DSC02141.jpg

Box with wires going off to pumps and control.

DSC02140.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back