Can I power lights from a socket circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to put two motion sensitive lantern wall lights on the outside of my house on either side of my storm porch.

The nearest power is from a socket inside the house next to my front door.

There is nothing else on the circuit with the socket as I've just installed it recently but I'm not sure whether i can now power the lights from it. Is it safe? Will i be contravening some regulations?

Also, when the wire is outside does it need to be in trunking or can i just nail it to the wall with cable clips?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Sponsored Links
You can spur of the socket, I would use double pole, fused connection unit and down fuse.
Also if clipping direct to external wall, you need to use cables that are suitable for extreme and varying whether conditions of the UK.
But you can also install in conduit or if you have your wits about you can run cable internally and enter the external fittings directly.
Please note: buried cables will require RCD protection but I assume newly installed socket would have that protection already?

Will i be contravening some regulations?
If you do not apply for approval from your local council's Building Control department in advance you will be contravening the Building Regulations.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Also, when the wire is outside does it need to be in trunking or can i just nail it to the wall with cable clips?
If you can arrange for there to be no cable on outside walls then according to Approved Document P the work is non-notifiable. That's wrong, but it does give you a cast-iron alibi.

Sponsored Links
I didn't spot that.

NJM84 - I don't suppose you did any of the testing you should have done on a new circuit, did you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back