lights off socket circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to add two external lights to the outside of my home. One with a motion censor at the front and a 500W flood light at the back. Both these lights will be fitted on the outside of the storm porch. Currently the storm porch has a light on a two way switch, with the switch inside the house. There is also a wall socket on the inside of the storm porch.

The easiest way for me to wire this would be to get power from the wall socket (There was a light on the front of the storm porch, which I want to replace, that was wired this way). I am not sure whether this would meet the regulations' requirements as I would think that lights should go on the lights' circuit. I'd prefer this method though, because it will save me a lot of effort.

The alternative is to get power from the switch inside the house, but this will involve burying the cable in the plaster, which i rather would not do. I could also try to get a cable through the conduit that connects the current storm porch light to the switch inside the house, but it doesn't look like there is space for an additional cable.

Any thoughts / advice?

Thanks
Carel

Sponsored Links
You can connect it to a socket as long as

1) You go via a fused connection unit (FCU) with appropiate fuse
2) The socket is not a spur itself
3) You connect the FCU to the socket with 2.5 cable (not flex)

You should use artic grade flex outside, but it must not be burried under plaster etc inside, and must go to a cordgrip, I think you can get FCUs that are also flex outlet plates?

external lights dont have to go on a lighting circuit. especially 500W flood lights since that will cause nuisence trippin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back