Can I safely take power from porch light pendant for Xmas lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife wants Xmas lights outside front of house on the porch. The only external socket is at the back.

Front porch has a light pendant.

Would it be considered wrong to wire a fcu from the pendant to power the LED Xmas lights? Just a string to go round the porch, a few Watts. Not thinking of Blackpool lights.

Each circuit is rcbo protected.

Just saves me a massive headache but sure its wrong.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
As its rcd protected that’s fine.

Maybe remove your existing lamp and use one of these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B22-Sock...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Not seen one of those for many decades, I didn't know they were still legal.

If the lights use a 13amp wall-wart, better to install a 13amp socket, adjacent to you porch light - run from that light, but labelled 'Christmas Lights Only'. I would be wary of adding mains powered 240v lights out of doors, RCD protected on not.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Would it be considered wrong to wire a fcu from the pendant to power the LED Xmas lights?
Yes. You don’t need a FCU on a lighting circuit. The 6 amp MCB will trip faster than a 3 amp fuse. Just use a bayonet plug in place of the light bulb.

Sponsored Links
Just use a bayonet plug in place of the light bulb

Ah, we still need to use the porch light though
If the lights use a 13amp wall-wart, better to install a 13amp socket, adjacent to you porch light - run from that light, but labelled 'Christmas Lights Only
Yes, a wall wart. So you think a well labelled socket and no fcu?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes. You don’t need a FCU on a lighting circuit. The 6 amp MCB will trip faster than a 3 amp fuse.
Agreed However using a 1A fuse which are readily available will give the required discrimination.

My 'preferred method, connect it to the permanent power part of the lighting circuit, that way the porch light or the Chritsmas lights can be used independantly.
If the lights use a 13amp wall-wart, better to install a 13amp socket, adjacent to you porch light - run from that light, but labelled 'Christmas Lights Only'. I would be wary of adding mains powered 240v lights out of doors, RCD protected on not.
As above a 1A fuse in a FCU will negate any lighting circuit blackout issue.

If the lights use a 13amp wall-wart, better to install a 13amp socket, adjacent to you porch light - run from that light, but labelled 'Christmas Lights Only'.
Yes, a wall wart. So you think a well labelled socket and no fcu?
Do this, and ignore the forum jester when he objects.
My 'preferred method, connect a 13A switched socket to the permanent power part of the lighting circuit, that way the porch light or the Chritsmas lights can be used independantly.A 1A fuse in a FCU could be added to negate any lighting circuit blackout if you think it could be an issue with the wrong thing being plugged in.
Yes, absolutely! It is the only sensible way, anyway, with a wall-wart.

A 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit is bad practice. Some seem to disagree but it is a fact and common sense.
That is winston1's personal opinion and it is NOT a fact in the real world.

Notice a pattern ? The forum jester has arrived.

winston1's opinion is just that, his personal opinion and not backed up by any regulation or safety bulletin, it is expressly permitted in the wiring regulations and there are very many thousands (if not millions) of 13A sockets fitted on lighting circuits across England and beyond working perfectly safely.

Last edited:
As above a 1A fuse in a FCU will negate any lighting circuit blackout issue.
Do you put a 1A fuse in a FCU for each of your lights?
Wall worts are designed to run directly off a 32A ring. They have no cable to protect which is what a FCU is for.

it is expressly permitted in the wiring regulations and there are very many thousands (if not millions) of 13A sockets fitted on lighting circuits across England and beyond

As many have said the regs do not make sense and in this case are clearly wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back