Outdoor light - safe zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our house has a light attached outside of the porch at the front. This appears to have been spurred into a fused socket and then cables have been run in conduit around the outside of the walls. It looks terrible.

For a start, is this acceptable to run an external light from a socket? Even if fused?

I am also wanting to chase all this cabling into the wall rather than having it exposed. How do the safe zones work for an exterior light? The lights situated higher than any of the light switches inside. Am I right in thinking the zone works on both sides of the wall if it's under 100mm total thickness?

Sponsored Links
For a start ,it's ok to feed a light from a fused spur ,don't know what you mean by a fused socket though
Are you intending to bury cables into external brickwork / mortar ?

A light may be run from a socket (circuit) provided that a fuse (usually a fused connection unit) having a value adequate to protect the cable to which the light is connected. This will usually be 3A or 5A, as the cable between the FCU and the light is usually 1.0mm².

Safe Zones. These extend horizontally and vertically from "an accessory" up to a corner horizontally, and the ceiling/floor vertically. In addition, from the ceiling down the wall for 6" (150mm) and up the wall(s) within 6" on a corner are regarded as safe zones. If it is impossible to run the cable in a safe zone, the easiest way is to add a single mounting box with a blanking plate to create a safe zone. One of the contributors to this site has information on safe zones on his website https://flameport.com/wiring_regulations/BS7671_selected_subjects/zones_concealed_cables.cs4 which may well be worth looking at. With thanks to Flameport, whose copyright is acknowledged

You mean you want to chase the cables into the EXTERIOR wall?

A bit unorthodox, only ever seen this done once (by a bodger) - though I don't know of any actual reasons why this shouldn't be done...

If the lights are higher than any light switch inside, this suggests a height somewhere near the soffits - in which case I would be looking to drill a hole at a steep angle upwards into the cavity, and then fish the cables up to the loft space, and run the cables in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Just to elaborate further and hopefully make this easier to understand.

There is a light attached to the front of the property, the cabling has been run inside the house to a fused spur (I didn't mean socket). This cabling has not been chased into the walls within the porch and instead has just been covered with a conduit on top of the plaster.

I understand the safe zones, but was unsure whether these are also relevant for accessories on either side of the wall. So as the light is on the 'exterior' wall, would the safe zone be horizontal and vertical inside and out of the property? This may not be relevant as I believe it's within the 150mm safe zone regardless on the corner of the porch.

I can take some photos tonight if needed.

Thanks
Louis

but was unsure whether these are also relevant for accessories on either side of the wall.
Generally not, although a case for a zone extending to the other side could be made if it's immediately obvious where the zone is from both sides, such as a light switch next to a doorway where both sides of the same wall are easily visible and accessible.
Even in that example it's rarely required as walls are typically much thicker than 50mm.

Inside and outside of a property would not be, in that case the light creates a zone on the external wall, and whatever the cable is connected to on the inside creates the zone on the internal wall.

Cables on the surface do not need to be in any zone as it's obvious where those cables are.

Generally not, although a case for a zone extending to the other side could be made if it's immediately obvious where the zone is from both sides, such as a light switch next to a doorway where both sides of the same wall are easily visible and accessible.
Even in that example it's rarely required as walls are typically much thicker than 50mm.

Inside and outside of a property would not be, in that case the light creates a zone on the external wall, and whatever the cable is connected to on the inside creates the zone on the internal wall.

Cables on the surface do not need to be in any zone as it's obvious where those cables are.
Thanks mate.

I think I can actually get away with the 150mm on the corners as that's where the wire is fed in from outside.

After finding your guide here: https://flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_add_extra_light_from_switch.cs4

I think this will be the best way to do it. I'll remove the fused spur and just directly run it from the existing light in the porch. I'll have to check if twin and earth used but as I'll be lifting the floor in the roof above soon anyway this should be easy to replace!

Following on from this, I have run new 4 core cable from the light fitting to the new 2 gang switch. I have then chased the wall and run new twin and earth to the existing outdoor light fitting then back to the 2 gang switch. Couldn't have done it without @flameport and his guide, so thanks so much!

Another question.. there was a cable from the 3 gang switch on the other side which ran to the one I've just replaced sharing COM1. Removing this has led to the landing light no longer working (this had a switch at the bottom and top of the stairs).

Why is it wired like this? Oddly the 3 gang only ever had the use of 2 gangs anyway (living room and landing). Appreciate any help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back