Installing chased cable outside prescribed safe zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'd like to install a new lighting circuit for under kitchen cupboard LED's. The cable would run vertically down the wall to the cupboard, then go horizontal to the next cupboard, chased into the wall under sheathing.

Am I right in thinking this is permissible outside the safe zone's providing it is RCD protected?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking this is permissible outside the safe zone's providing it is RCD protected?
No.

The two things are not connected.

For cables less than 50mm. from surface they must be mechanically protected or have an earthed covering or be covered by an RCD.
This does not mean it can just be installed deeper as that might contravene Building Regulations.
Capping (not sheathing) does not count as protection.

Last edited:
As virtually every new fitting has to have an RCD nowadays and you are prepared to fit an RCD anyway, your problem is where to fit the cables.

You could have flex outlet connectors above the units, where they will not be noticed, and buried cables running between them, with flex running behind or in the units, down to the lights.

If you are only hopping over 1 cupboard, there is no point trying to put that cable in the wall.

Modern LED lights etc, interlink easily. (some with Fig8 connectors)

You are unlikely to get the cable coming out the wall at exactly the correct place anyway

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back