Chasing route around a corner / "from one zone to anoth

Yet another example of JohnW and sadly others hijacking a relatively straight forward question and answer session and starting to create doubt and confusion where there need be none.
Au contraire.

Discussion of the issue of zones for cables being created by accessories to which those cables are connected, not merely passing by, and why that is of more than "technical" importance, was not hijacking, and please note that it began before the OP confirmed that in this case all of the cables would be connected to the accessories.

Sponsored Links
capping will be used as good practice.
Why do you think that it's good practice?

Why would anyone?
It's not a requirement but will protect the cables from the plasters trowel when the wall is "made good" again.
Makes pulling new cables through an existing route easier than having to re-chase the wall.

Also it's arguable I know, but if metal capping is used is adds some resistance if someone is drilling into the cable routes.

Simple.

It's not a requirement but will protect the cables from the plasters trowel when the wall is "made good" again.
That plasterers hack at cables is a myth.

Makes pulling new cables through an existing route easier than having to re-chase the wall.
1) Why would you need to?

2) Good luck trying to pull cables through a long gap between capping and brickwork.

Also it's arguable I know, but if metal capping is used is adds some resistance if someone is drilling into the cable routes.
If you can feel that you need a less feeble drill.

Sponsored Links
That plasterers hack at cables is a myth.

********Even if it's a "myth", it's still what I call "good practice" and a precaution. Some plasters might refuse to plaster over cables that aren't encased in anything - no matter now deep that are.********

1) Why would you need to?
******** Maybe a rewire or especially if there is data cabling, you may need to add more runs of cat cable for example.********
2) Good luck trying to pull cables through a long gap between capping and brickwork.
********Who said the gap had to be "long".
If I was planning to pull more cables at a later date, maybe I would use Oval Conduit instead!********

If you can feel that you need a less feeble drill.

Somehow I don't think anyone is understanding my question, so I've made a new image that might explain things better.

Somehow I don't think anyone is understanding my question, so I've made a new image that might explain things better.
As you've already been told, those cable placements, within relevant safe zones, are fine.

I'm a bit confused by the "Two x 13A 2g sockets" and "4 x 13A 2G sockets" - are we really talking about a total of six double sockets?

Kind Regards, John

As you've already been told, those cable placements, within relevant safe zones, are fine.

I'm a bit confused by the "Two x 13A 2g sockets" and "4 x 13A 2G sockets" - are we really talking about a total of six double sockets?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the clarification John.
Yes we would be talking exactly six double 13A sockets.

Thanks for the clarification John. Yes we would be talking exactly six double 13A sockets.
You're welcome. So do you mean, per the diagram, a pair or double sockets next to one another on one wall and a group of four doubles next to one another on the other wall?

Kind Regards, John

The cable passing through the corner wall is not really relevant in this case, as the safe zones will be made/determined by the accessories mounted on the two walls, with cables running horizontally.
You could in this instant maintain the continuity of the circuit by going vertically down and up from and to sockets, using the floor void as the route.
Providing the floor is not a solid one. But then you would also require to conform to the installation techniques for hole joists if required, notching and safe plates (the latter is not good practise but sometimes can not be avoided). Oh should I mention that! or issue a Hi-Jack alert!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back