Where To Chase In Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Im about to do some work in a new kitchen weve had fitted and have to fit a couple of sockets and FCU's.

In the on site guide as I see it you can install a T&E cable in capping without protection anywhere in the wall as long as its below 50mm. However I dont want to go that far in and want to install the cables within the allowed zones. As I see it these zones are vertical (bottom to top) and within 150mm from the top of the wall and the edge of a wall. I also understand you can chase in 1/3rd of depth of the wall when chasing horizontally and 1/6th of the deptch of the wall when chasing verticaly.

what I dont understand in the on site guide is it would seem you can also chase horizontally above 50mm but im sure this isnt allowed and also I know your allowed to route a cable below 50mm to an accesory i.e from a FCU to an unswitched single socket for a washing machine?

If its the case that you can run cables horizontally in straight lines below 50mm this would mean you could bring 1 leg of the ring up from one side of the kitchen and simply run the cable sideways across the wall into sockets etc and then back down the 2nd leg of the ring to the floor?

Please can someone explain the permisable cable runs below 50mm inside a wall as im tearing my hair out.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
stevegreenham said:
I also understand you can chase in 1/3rd of depth of the wall when chasing horizontally and 1/6th of the deptch of the wall when chasing verticaly.
Other way round, surely?

what I dont understand in the on site guide is it would seem you can also chase horizontally above 50mm but im sure this isnt allowed
Why would it be in the OSG if it wasn't allowed?

Please can someone explain the permisable cable runs below 50mm inside a wall as im tearing my hair out.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

stevegreenham said:
what I dont understand in the on site guide is it would seem you can also chase horizontally above 50mm but im sure this isnt allowed
Yes, it is allowed, it says so in the osg!!
If its the case that you can run cables horizontally in straight lines below 50mm this would mean you could bring 1 leg of the ring up from one side of the kitchen and simply run the cable sideways across the wall into sockets etc and then back down the 2nd leg of the ring to the floor?
Yes, providing the cable vertical runs are from an accessory or within 150mm of a corner.

Sponsored Links
Steve, are you aware of part P Building regs, or like the On Site Guide, you think you know better?

Hi all,

Ive had a read of the documents ban all sheds posted regarding where to chase in walls but still dont understand the following.

In the installation in question ive got to install a ring in a kitchen with 4 x double sockets all appart from each other, a FCU and an unswitched single socket for the load side of the FCU for a washing machine.

These 6 fittings are on 2 seperate walls within the kitchen (2 x doubles on one wall and 2 x doubles, FCU and unswitched socket on the other wall).

What I cant see is the relevance of when you can go sideways across a wall (not within 150mm of top or side and above 50mm) im not sure if you can only go sideways when connecting to an assesory i.e in this case the unswitched single socket for the FCU supplying the washing machine or you can simply take 1 leg of the ring half way up the wall on one of the 2 walls and chase sideways connecting up the other 3 x sockets and FCU and then join the 2nd leg of the ring to the other side this dosent look right as the whole idea of putting cables in zones is to stop people banging nails through them etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
Steve

Steve
Have a look at fig 7.3.2 on page 53 of your OSG - that should clear it up!
SB
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back