Best route to chase these in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a cooker hood and 2.5kw single oven being installed in the middle of the attached picture.

The most economical way to chase the wiring in for them I've drawn on in green, but is this the right way?

I'm going to convert the socket into a double box for FCU's for the oven and hood.

The floor is solid, the wiring for the original socket is fed over the ceiling behind dot and dab plasterboard. The builder left a loop on one of the ring cables - the intention was for it to feed an FCU inside a cupboard, but "The Mrs" has gone for a chimney style hood now, so chasing is now required.

The alternative for the hood I thought would be to feed/chase as back up following the ring cable, then chase it left near the ceiling. For the oven I would have chased down to below worktop depth and then across to behind the oven.

Any ideas?

btw, converting that loop into an FCU and chasing from that would be 'hideous' as the lady put it.

diag.jpg
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
your plan of replacing the double socket with a dual box for a pair of FCUs is perfectly reasonable.

however your current route is not within the safe zones, instaead you should take the cable horizontally into the corner of the room, use the safe zone in the corner to go up/down to the level you wan't and then go horizontaly to the destination.

Thanks plugwash. Just to clarify, this is acceptable so long as I stick to within 150mm of the zone?....

diag2.jpg

That looks fine to me.

Are you sure you want to get rid of the socket altogether?
Why not leave the socket and and the FCUs aswell. You can't have too many sockets in a kitchen.

Sponsored Links
These people never heard of 1st fix and 2nd fix? I'd be seriously ****ed off is i had to chase that (newly plastered by the looks of it) nice wall.

RF Lighting said:
That looks fine to me.

Are you sure you want to get rid of the socket altogether?
Why not leave the socket and and the FCUs aswell. You can't have too many sockets in a kitchen.
I might do that, pull the rest of the slack down and extend to accomodate the FCU's, but TBH sockets aren't really required in that location.

A hob is going on the worktop in the middle (seperate supply fed from the left which you can't see in these pics).

crafty1289 said:
These people never heard of 1st fix and 2nd fix? I'd be seriously p****d off is i had to chase that (newly plastered by the looks of it) nice wall.
Not seriously, just mildly. Plans had changed after the wall had been skimmed, which is bloody typical. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back