Horizontal chasing of cable for electric fire

Though you could argue that if someone is skilled enough to be doing the work they are also skilled enough to avoid drilling through cables
I have just drilled onto one of the ELV cables I had installed myself a few months ago. Just enough that the tip of the screw cut one of the 8 cores in the cable. If the screw had been 2mm shorter then it would have been OK

Sponsored Links
I've drilled through cables, and I'd like to think I'm a skilled person.

Thanks for the information but how is this any different to the fact that all the existing sockets and lighting circuits are buried in the walls, probably less than 50mm deep as part of the original build of the house? The CU fitted was also fitted at the time. Is there a compulsory requirement to change the CU to latest version RCD CU? If so, when was this issued?
How on earth can a fully qualified, apprentice trained engineer with over 25 years of electrical and mechanical engineering experience not know that work done now is governed by the Wiring Regulations as they are now, and that they are not retroactive?

I am not asking to have anything installed that is out of the normal or that
would be electrically unsafe or in any way compromise safety, other than asking about having a fused spur cable buried horizontally rather than vertically, which I already believed is permitted.
Nobody has suggested otherwise, but BS 7671 compliance will be on the basis of what that requires now, not what was allowed when your house was built.

Finally Mr. "ban-all sheds", is this remark aimed at me??
Not at all.

If it had been I can assure you that you would have been left in no doubt.

I may not be qualified on domestics or Part P, hence my original posting,
If you cannot comply with Part P then you should not do the work.

Also, I did not say I would be doing the work !!
Whoever does it, they may not conceal cables in the way that they would have done when the house was built.

I assume you believe yourself to be skilled? When in reality perhaps you are a numpty?
Yes and no.

Let's stick to the subject rather than mud slinging.
I was.

Dunno what's up with you.

I've drilled through cables, and I'd like to think I'm a skilled person.
I nearly did once.

In my office there is a clock on the wall above the light switch. It isn't quite on the centre line of the switch, which is annoying.

But not as annoying as it would have been to have drilled the hole for the screw right on the centre line.....

Sponsored Links
How on earth can a fully qualified, apprentice trained engineer with over 25 years of electrical and mechanical engineering experience not know that work done now is governed by the Wiring Regulations as they are now, and that they are not retroactive?

Because as said, I have not worked on "domestic electrics", rather commercial heavy electrics on ships and electrics on commercial manufacturing equipment. Perhaps you would care to explain the procedure involved in syncing two 500kw generators via an auxiliary power distribution busbar or perhaps the phasing requirements for an air conditioning compressor? Both items that I have dealt with in a past life. Surely you must know because how on earth could a skilled person like yourself not know this??

You appear an angry person mr B-A-S (your forum name gives a clue!!). You seem to want to discredit people who are only on this forum for genuine interest and advice and for reasons only you know but appear to me that you consider inferior to your level of life skill or experience.

Finally Mr. "ban-all sheds", is this remark aimed at me??
Not at all.

If it had been I can assure you that you would have been left in no doubt.

Case in point from above!

I was.
Nope, you weren't

Dunno what's up with you.[/quote]

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't come onto this forum to pick a fight, just to get some advice. Your responses have been nothing short of antagonistic and that's doesn't help anyone. Why don't you find something else to occupy your time! Perhaps chase cars on the motorway! Or crack on with your shed banning campaign!?

To the other people that replied with advice, thank you. I have taken on board what has been said. I think that I will consider the use of an RCD protected FCU until such time that we can get our CU upgraded. However, I will take advice from whomever does the work! Thanks again all. :)

Because as said, I have not worked on "domestic electrics", rather commercial heavy electrics on ships and electrics on commercial manufacturing equipment.
Actually you did not say that - you said "I am a fully qualified, apprentice trained engineer with over 25 years of electrical and mechanical engineering experience and in my time have dealt with 3 phase 440V and single phase 220V and 115V commercial systems".

You did not make it clear that you have never worked in an environment within the scope of the Wiring Regulations which is why you know nothing about them. I'm not a mind reader, and a very reasonable conclusion to draw from what you said was that you did do work within their scope, as they don't only apply to domestic work.

You appear an angry person mr B-A-S (your forum name gives a clue!!). You seem to want to discredit people who are only on this forum for genuine interest and advice and for reasons only you know but appear to me that you consider inferior to your level of life skill or experience.
I'm not trying to discredit anybody. If you look again at my first reply it contains virtually the same information as the one from plugwash (to which you responded "Thanks for this, great and useful information (Mr. ban-all-sheds take note!).").

Case in point from above!
What on earth does that mean?

I was.
Nope, you weren't
Was I not?

I assume you can show where I was not sticking to the subject, i.e. the questions you were asking, or responding to comments other eople had made in this topic?

I didn't come onto this forum to pick a fight, just to get some advice.
Really?

I assume you believe yourself to be skilled? When in reality perhaps you are a numpty? Let's stick to the subject rather than mud slinging.
Thanks for this, great and useful information (Mr. ban-all-sheds take note!).
You seem to want to discredit people who are only on this forum for genuine interest and advice and for reasons only you know but appear to me that you consider inferior to your level of life skill or experience.
You are not behaving as if you didn't want to pick a fight.

Your responses have been nothing short of antagonistic
Don't be ridiculous.

Why don't you find something else to occupy your time!
Why don't you learn to read properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back