Can i prevent kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All sorts of CH issues in our new house since moving in last year. 3 storey and about 20 rads from ideal classic ff380.

TRV's on all rads on 1st and 2nd floor (apart from landings). No TRV's on all rads on ground floor.

Issue is, once all TRV's are closing / closed the boiler begins to kettle.

Issue may have got worse since balancing, before (bizarrely) every lock shield was fully open and therefore downstairs rads only got slightly hot. I also reduced flow on landings and utility. I can only assume the fairly high output boiler is simply producing too much heat for 5 fully balanced and 3 restricted flow out of a total of 20 rads (once the others have shut off). Boiler cycles as expected and pump speed is on 3.

Is it worth heating up the landings again and the utility. I thought it would be better getting more heat to the living spaces... just wonder if there is anything i can do to reduce kettling. Will try some silencer but as the water appears clear and has had regular inhibitor top ups along with an inline softener on the water feed i'm not convinced it is purely limescale... could be wrong!

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right for an oversized Classic!
Turn the boiler temp down, and do try Boiler Silencer. Might need 2 bottles.

Almost certainly not LIME scale, just rust ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back