Can I put 205kg in a Solid Purlin Loft Space

S J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm looking at fitting an unvented Hot water Cylinder in my loft to free up space in the bedroom.
But I'm a bit confused about if I the first floor ceiling joists will take the weight (they are 4x2). I was thinking about building another platform on to of the load bearing purlin joists but they are 4m apart and can't get a timber up there (too acute an angle). So will it be possible to build another platform (running the opposing way to existing ones to straddle the load) on the ceiling joists to hold the weight?

With the cylinder filled maximum weight is 205kg and the cylinder has a diameter of about 600mm, and as I said there 4x2 ceiling joists and are 400mm apart. The house was built late 60's and ideally I don't want it over a wall as the only supporting wall is right in the middle of the loft hatch entrance and will effect the loft ladder and so getting up for service for this and boiler will be a right pain.

Hope someone can help. Below is a picture of a similar loft design I found (hope whoever took this picture don't mind!!) as my camera isn't working, and to make sure I'm calling roof design etc right so we all know hopefully where I'm coming from.

Thanks Again Steve

loft3.jpg

Sponsored Links
place the tank over the wall, rework the ladder?

Won't have the angle to get loft ladder access any other way unfortunatly, due to roof pitch and positio, that was my train of fault.

Just like to add the internal walls below none are load bearing just take flex from the beams, as it's a "curtain style" house with the load taken on the two external walls.

Thanks Steve

Short answer is no the ceiling joists cant take the load.

Would need something like a 2.5mx2.5m spreader plate under it to get the loading down to an acceptable level..
Only other option would be to hang from gable wall or run a couple of beams to from load bearing wall to load bearing wall..

Sponsored Links
Short answer is no the ceiling joists cant take the load.

Would need something like a 2.5mx2.5m spreader plate under it to get the loading down to an acceptable level..
Only other option would be to hang from gable wall or run a couple of beams to from load bearing wall to load bearing wall..

Cool Thats what I thought the answer was going to be, the spreader plate would never fit, so looks like I'm going to have to find another location for it.

Thanks for the answer!

Just out of interest is there anything your aware of which can be attached to the gable wall that can hold that sort of weight? Only thing I can think of which isn't a viable option and that is to have 2 RSJ's running through the gable wall , with solid support underneath in the brickwork to take it?

Thanks Steve

Could use a couple of gallows brackets if the gable wall is sufficiently tied into the roof/loft joists and is a cavity/decent sized solid wall.. but not massively adviseable in general..

You can get wall hung hot water cylinders but they may not be the size you need..

The spreader plate may still be an option if you construct a platform of sufficent size spread over a bunch of joists..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back