Can I put ceramic tiles on floating floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to this forum and need some help.

Basically I have just had the most awful cowboy builders in and they have ruined my bathroom. Since then the bathroom has been stripped and is now a shell.

The old builders told me that I shouldn't put ceramic tyles on a floating floor. Is this true?

If I can what is the best way to prepare the floor to take the tiles?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by a floating floor?floor brds on joists?

I would inerprite floating floor as laminate where the flooring just lays on the floor with no fixings.

Hi

It is chipboard on top of joists and the chipboard has been screwed or nailed down so it is fixed. Apparently this is called a floating floor!

Thanks

You can tile over a “floating floor” but I would not advise tiling onto chip (crap) board; you could overboard with 12mm WBP or tile backer boards but I would take it up & replace with 18-25mm WBP ply, depending on the size, pitch & span of your joists. Seal the back & sides of the ply with an SBR sealer & fix with screws down into the joists ever 200mm; any joins in the ply must either run down the centre line of a joist or be supported with noggins; sometimes these aren’t really necessary around the edge of the room if the floor is unlikely to be subject to loading.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back