Can I remove fuses individually?

You should budget for replacing it at some point.
In particular, if you’re doing DIY electrics elsewhere then a replacement with RCDs will make things safer if you get something wrong while e.g. wiring a new light.
I hope you have the cover for the fuses. I note also two screws are missing from the panel.

It is understandable to want to turn off single circuits. For example, you might want to have the lights on so you can see what you’re doing while working on a socket. You shouldn’t do this, but I bet a lot of people here do it anyway (I know I do - but I have RCDs). The safest way to do this is to switch off the main switch, remove the fuse cover, remove the fuse, replace the cover, turn on. Repeat in reverse when done. Double-check for live wires before touching anything, in case it’s not on the circuit you thought it was. Of course that doesn’t help with your computer powering off.

OK, new RCD units seem to be about £150 -£200 I guess installation would cost as much again? Perhaps it's worth doing now.
It's not just the computer. Also clocks on the oven and central heating. Just too bad.
I do note that my fuse box has two missing screws. I do have the cover - I just removed it for the photo. It doesn't have any wording on it about turning the power off before removing fuses.

Sponsored Links
The only way to find out the cost is to get a couple of quotes from REGISTERED electricians. Your fuse box is probably 40+ years old- maybe as old as the flat- so the condition of the cabling should be looked at too.

OK, new RCD units seem to be about £150 -£200 I guess installation would cost as much again?

A proper replacement will involve quite a lot of testing and inspection of the rest of the electrics, which takes time, and the electrician will want to fix any problems that are found. In particular, they may find problems that would cause the new RCD to trip (e.g. old wiring that has got damp etc.); these need to be fixed before the new RCD consumer unit is installed. So your estimate is a bit low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back