Rewire Fuse question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After rewiring an old fuse ( post a overload ) the electrics are still not working. I am now wondering if the input behind the fuse has become unattached after a blow out ( moved ? ) The red wire

If I turn the electrics off , is the input coming into the fuse box off ? or just the electrics coming out , and powering my house lights

Am I safe to check the input wires if teh unit is off ?

Thanks anyone

Sponsored Links
Pip, your question is incredibly unclear!!!!

If you turn 'OFF' the main switch on your consumer unit then everything after that switch 'should' be dead, and i say that with caution.

If your are talking about the Main incomer fuse in a 'black/grey' 'box' then everything from before this and upto your main switch on the consumer unit is live!! potentially.

I my humble opinion i would call a qualified sparks out, it may well save you from a nasty shock and even death

Apols

Basically when I take out the rewire fuse that blew , behind it is two red input wires. I suspect one may be loose , and want to estalish if turning of the main fuse actually renders the red input wire into the box as 'off' before I start playing with it and trying to ensure it is fitted correctly

Hope this makes sense

Okay!

1. Main switch OFF

2. Remove fuse carrier

3. unscrew the cover behind

This will expose the connection(s) for the LIVE wires, these SHOULD be dead now that the Main switch is off.

'Tug' these connections if they are tight then it is not the problem.

If you see any signs of 'burning' 'melting' etc call a spark.

Re-wiring the fuse make sure you use the correct fuse wire

Any problems write back

Sponsored Links
After items 1 AND 3 in the above you MUST:

use a known working voltage test device (not a neon screwdriver!) and check that that the supply has truly, really and with no doubt been turned off.

Its very dangerous to stick your fingers into the back of a fuseboard without carrying out safe isolation procedures.

I do this for a living and always check before doing anything.

TALOR2CITS

So do I!!!

But you know what some people don't have even a basic tester/meter and are unlikely to buy one, so the least we can do is give them the 'best' advice.

I had the impression that this person is no 'egit' and if unsure wouldn't proceed

Still sound advice you give and perhaps I should have dropped this in also

Without knowing the board you are using I would not like to say if it is safe to use. British boards normally are but siemens with bottle fuses have the fuse direct on to bus bar and switch after fuse.
There has already been a discussion as to isolate else where rule and I am not returning to that but basic rule if you don't know what your doing don't touch.
In most British boards if all the shrouds have been fitted correctly then turning off at the boards main switch will make the board safe but there is no way even if you do say what make and model of board you have that I or anyone else will know if the shrouds have been fitted correctly.
Eric

I would excercise extreme caution here, and advise an amature from taking the cover off the fuse box.

As the OP is talking about rewireable fuses, the chances are they have a wylex standard fusebox.

As we all know, 8 out of 10 (at a guess) of these fuseboxes are missing the shrouds from the incomming terminals, and even if they are fitted, there is still enough exposed live metalwork to do yourself an injury, even with the main switch OFF.

Sound advice there chaps. Know exactly what you mean about the old wylex RF, I was visualising just that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back