Fuse box question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fuse box blew the fuse for the electrical sockets outlet. The lights still work fine and it's just the power. I changed the fuse and it worked for around a day and a half, then it blew again. Is it possible that one of the plugs is to blame, I'm expecting the wiring to be the issue, i just hope not cause I'm in no finance state to afford re-wiring, so I'm wondering if it is the plug, if I figure out the culprit and leave it switched off, would that ensure that the others worked safely, or is it just too dangerous to use period?

I'm not up on electrical things other than rewiring of plugs, so sorry if this is a basic child like answer

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Scott81 said:
The fuse box blew the fuse for the electrical sockets outlet. The lights still work fine and it's just the power. I changed the fuse and it worked for around a day and a half, then it blew again.

Have you added anything new on to the circuit such as a charger, a radio or anything that might be suspect?

Does the fuse go when a certain room is occupied or when a certain event such as turning something on occurs?

If a plugged in device is faulty, the local fuse in the plug should be rated lower than the main fuse at the board, so it's unlikely to be a plugged in item (although not impossible).

Have you fixed anything, done any DIY or painting, hung a picture or screwed something in recently?

The initial feeling from me would be that unless you can identify any of the above as an obvious fault then it's a wiring issue. Then again it could be a failed socket or even a device plugged in :rolleyes:

How old is the house, what does the fuse board look like and what in the overall condition of cable and sockets?

You say the lights are okay, what about the cooker, upstairs sockets and the rest of the kitchen ?

If you could feed back some of the QQQ's asked some one (maybe even me) can advise further- but it does sound like a visit from a sparks will be required.

Scott, check all the appliances you had plugged in at the time for loose wiring or blacking/overheating inside the plugs first.

The next step would be to check each socket for similar - loose connections or burning/charing/overheating. The main circuit breaker will need to be removed/turned off in order to do this in a safe manner.

Just to check, what appliances run off this circuit?

Does it supply any of the following:

Immersion heater
Electric Cooker
Electric Shower
Electric heaters

Sponsored Links
The only thing to be running at the moment the fuse blew twice was the Front room socket off TV and Hi Fi

The first time it happend, the TV and Computer in the bedroom were on, at the same time as the Hi-fi in the front room.

I had the bedroom sockets switched off at the time, but the second time it was only the hifi and TV socket that was working. The power was no more than the alloted ampage.

I've done no decoration or DIY jobs, however a few months ago, we did have a minor flood from a washing machine leak that was unnoticed and as I live in an apartment block it did seep up the passageway, someone told me it could have been the water got through the floor boards and attacked the wiring as it's an old flat and the wiring is some parts underneath the floor boards I'm lead to believe, not sure of the age of the installation the lighting is all surfice wiring. Could this be the issue?

We have no emersion heater and only a Gas cooker and no showers, nothings been added to the box other than that of the correct fuse wire number

Many thanks for your help thus far

I forgot to add I'm led to believe it's a ring main fuse box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back